eating feathers

Glad you posted this question. I have 11 nine week old Ameraucanas and they LOVE feathers. One of the little roos finds and feather and sings, sings, sings while running around w/ the feather in his mouth.. Others find a feather and try their best to eat it.. IF it is small it goes down, larger ones take several tries or they get tired of it! They are getting 20% protein food free choice and a tiny bit of birdseed to scratch for... I started letting them free range two days ago, thinking that would help but the little roo, did his song for about an hour... Maybe it will get better..

Yes, thanks for putting this question up. I was worried they might not be able to 'digest' them correctly. But it seems all of mine like to eat feathers.
idunno.gif

ya i guess all breeds do eat feathers haha they must know its ok for them to eatem cuz if it wasnt good for them they wouldnt touchem they know what to eat and know what not to eat i heard someone say b4

Mine won't eat the big feathers. Sounds to me like all chickens eat feathers.Irregardless of the protein. Dang chicken will eat darn near anything . That's all they do.

yeah they do eat alot of stuff mine are picky with some things they wont touch zuccini or yellow squash u throw it in there run they run up and look at it then walk away they dont like full curnal corn they want it cracked its better for them cracked anyway

Back
Top Bottom