Eating Feathers????

krazeepolack

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Randsburg, Ca-live ghost town
I sit in my cage w/my chicks almost everyday if I have time. One "red" seems to have adopted me already. She'll jump in my lap & sit for the longest time, getting rubbed & petted. Several others will sit for shorter times. What I have noticed recently, is all of a sudden, one hen or another will zoom down on a loose feather & scarf it as if they were starving. I have seen them eat a loose lying feather(s) amost 2" in length!!!! Is this a signal I don't understand?? Has anyone seen thier chickens doing this??

Eating feathers can be a sign that they need more protein. What are they getting to eat?
It's usually not a problem unless they start plucking each other, but I don't think I'd like it. Maybe could cause a crop impaction????

Imp

Last edited:
I have seen mine do it too. My girls are about 6 months old...2 BO and 3 BAs. I have 2 new RIRs girls (about 4-5 months old) and have noticed the others "picking" on them and pulling a feather or two out and occasionally eating it. My girls are on layer pellets. DH bought them instead of the crumbles and I don't think they eat the pellets as well.

Back
Top Bottom