Eating Guinea eggs

OK..please share the egg peeling secret. Lol
OK but it'll cost you... $5, lol
lau.gif

I always boil room temp eggs and start with room temp or tepid water... for every dozen Guinea eggs I use about a 1/2 cup PLAIN salt in the water (NOT Iodized), Kosher salt works too but you need to use a little more. Bring them to a boil stirring occasionally while they heat up, turn them off once they boil, cover and let them sit 15 mins. Drain, then cool the eggs quickly in ice water, drain again, put them in a zip lock bag over night in the fridge. The next day crack them really well all over, and peel. I still get a few occasional stubborn ones, but at least I don't end up with a whole batch of eggs that look like pinatas, lol.

I woulda paid you $10 dollars for the technique. I've NEVER been able to get a shell of an egg - chicken or guinea - so egg salad hides the carnage. I'll give it a try! Yum!

Dang, $10... that's almost a half a bag of starter feed. Let's see, what other valuable tips/tricks are in my goodie bag... lol

I took a video with my crappy cell phone once (for my Mom) of me peeling a Guinea egg in about 12 seconds, and not a dink or nick in it. (She did not believe me when I told her I finally figured out the secret, cuz she ends up with egg pinatas all the time too, lol, so I videoed it to prove it to her). If I can figure out how to get it off my phone I'll post it.

I have enjoyed reading about your guinea egg experience. I have had 10 guineas over the past 2 years so I am a novice. I just incubated and hatched 17 keets. Half are pied and half are solid blue and one pure white but not albino. I have eaten the eggs in the past, scrambled. You left off your last post with finally learning the secret to easier peeling of hard boiled eggs. Would you care to share your secret? I would be most greatful!

Guinea eggs, because of their strong shells make themselves valuable and very usable. Their is proof in the artwork left by both the Egyptians and the Romans that guineas were raised for good eating birds and, of course, for their eggs. During the middle ages they became a specialty of the upper class (therefore followed their popularity with everybody else!) Both my grandmother and my great grandmother raised guineas. It has been only recently we have had them as both good tick eaters and great "watchdogs". Besides, they just make me laugh. p.s. make sure you use two eggs for one chicken egg in your baking.

Back
Top Bottom