Eating her own feathers? Going to get the chills?

Viergacht

Songster
5 Years
Nov 13, 2018
I've noticed my 4 year old Gold Laced is yanking out her own moulting feathers and eating them. She's got a bald spot on her back and a large one around the base of her neck. This morning there were so many feathers on the porch it looked like someone had a pillow fight.
I'm a little concerned she's going overboard with the self-plucking - the daytime temps have been unnaturally warm, but they're projected to get down into the 50's and 40's in the next couple of weeks. I've heard it's not a good idea to put sweaters and stuff on hens, but I'm worried she won't be able to adapt to the cold if she's bald. I'd rather not keep her inside, but I will if I have to.

She is eating the feather for extra protein. You could try feeding her some scrambled eggs.
Is she outside at night or in a coop?
Some of my chickens still have some bare spots and our nights are below freezing; they are doing just fine.

I would recommend scrambled eggs and mealworms to get her protein levels back up. You could also make her a cape to help the bald spots get their feathers back.
1605326669464.png

*not my pic*
Doesn't have to be knitted, could just be a piece of fabric with hemmed edges and something to tie it.

She is eating the feather for extra protein. You could try feeding her some scrambled eggs.
Is she outside at night or in a coop?
Some of my chickens still have some bare spots and our nights are below freezing; they are doing just fine.

She's in a coop at night.
I do give them boiled eggs once a week, and I'll get a pack of mealworms too.

Back
Top Bottom