Eating Is An Instinct

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kingmt, Jun 14, 2009.

1. kingmt

kingmt Songster

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    I always thought eating was an instinct until I read about these coturnix. I have been trying to get these two birds to eat & drink for 6 hours. I was putting there beak in the food & water like I do the chicken chicks but with no results. I remembered seeing that someone said to tap on the feed dish & they get the idea so I started taping on the dish but they just went a little crazy so I started taping in the food & one got interested & started to eat. I assume the other will learn from this one. Is this right? I tried the same thing with the water but it will only drink drops off the end of my finger. They did go crazy when I stuck my hand in there brooder but now the one that started eating & drinking off the end of my finger chirps like crazy when I take my hand out & runs to me when I stick my hand in. Does it think my hand is Momma now or something else? Will the other take the lead from this bird & eat?

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    he'll teach the rest, and now of course pointer is mama [​IMG] Enjoy the babies!

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    But pinky is the odd uncle that smells like feet. [​IMG]

4. kingmt

kingmt Songster

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    [​IMG]

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. kingmt

kingmt Songster

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    The baby is ashamed of it new family. It hide in the corner & act like it didn't even know Big Momma Pointer [​IMG] & had nothing to do with uncle Stinky Pinky. [​IMG]

[​IMG] I guess everyone is right about them growing up fast. There only 1 day old & acting like teenagers. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. tbone

tbone Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    southern illinois
    i prefer them to be 10 weeks old and acting like dinner......

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: