Eating less

Sep 18, 2019
SW Washington
I have 17 chickens and they are eating less and laying less eggs( 1/3rd less). They do free range and weather has been warm and rainy for last month. The food did change from a soy free to the same brand with soy. I am going to go back to that the Soy free ASAP. Finally have been giving them the hen boost probiotic since I noticed the reduction. Could it be anything else? I really think it was the food because it happen shortly after.

I have 17 chickens and they are eating less and laying less eggs( 1/3rd less). They do free range and weather has been warm and rainy for last month.
My Hens feed consumption slows during the summer months and hence so does egg production.
I get egg production back up by serving their regular feed as a wet mash daily. They still have dry feed available all day.
Just a 1/4 cup dry feed per hen does the trick.
I serve the wet mash around 9 am in place of their usual Scratch Grains scattered in their pen.
20200618_134804_resized.jpg

I make it very wet and serve immediately.
Egg production comes back up in 4 to 5 days.
I do this till October, then switch back to giving them Scratch Grains scattered in their pen as a treat. GC

My flocks feed consumption decreases when they are allowed to free range daily. My first thought is the food switch caused the egg reduction.
A side note, my flock tends to have an egg reduction when there is a predator nearby.

Back
Top Bottom