eating the bedding

Stacyoung13

Crowing
Apr 9, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi, my new duckling (3 days old), Mr./Miss Duckles, wont stop eating the bedding. Will this hurt him? Of course I know it's not good. how do I get him to quit? Duckles is in brooder with 2 chicks, they scratch at it and peck at the bottom, and Duckles will come over and start eating the bedding where the chicks are pecking. I tried putting a little piece of bread in there but the chicks keep scratching it away.

Chickens and ducks broofing together is not going to work out. Ducks are wet and messy, don't mix well with chickens. And it's not eating it, ducks mouths are their hands so she's most likely tasting and touching it. Ducks like to investigate everything.

Chickens and ducks broofing together is not going to work out. Ducks are wet and messy, don't mix well with chickens. And it's not eating it, ducks mouths are their hands so she's most likely tasting and touching it. Ducks like to investigate everything.
I watched Duckles pick it up, tilt her/his head back, swallow, and bend down and pick up another piece. Multiple times.

I watched Duckles pick it up, tilt her/his head back, swallow, and bend down and pick up another piece. Multiple times.
Are you sure the duck isn't spitting it back out? I'm sure it will be fine though. Is it constantly doing this? I used a puppy pad liner for the first week for my ducks. Once they figured how to rip that and eat it I switched to shavings. Paper towels would work too.

Are you sure the duck isn't spitting it back out? I'm sure it will be fine though. Is it constantly doing this? I used a puppy pad liner for the first week for my ducks. Once they figured how to rip that and eat it I switched to shavings. Paper towels would work too.
I haven't seen her spit anything out. it's not constant, but a lot. To me it seems a lot. :confused: I may be acting like a first time mother. :gig

Put old clean towels over the bedding for now at least till everyone knows what's food and what's not. You can even take the bedding out for now and just use towels replace by shaking them out and washing and use again. Usually by 2 weeks they know what is food and stop eating their bedding.

Yeah, I usually use old towels or baby blankets as bedding for the first week or so with ducklings. This way they learn what food is and are all eating well before being introduced to things like shavings. They will often "taste" them when they're first put in, but they realize pretty quick that it isn't good and is not food. When they're as young as your little guy, they are still learning and figuring out what is ok to eat and what isn't. So, I suggest taking way the bedding for now and try again later.

Put old clean towels over the bedding for now at least till everyone knows what's food and what's not. You can even take the bedding out for now and just use towels replace by shaking them out and washing and use again. Usually by 2 weeks they know what is food and stop eating their bedding.
x2 !!

Yeah, I usually use old towels or baby blankets as bedding for the first week or so with ducklings. This way they learn what food is and are all eating well before being introduced to things like shavings. They will often "taste" them when they're first put in, but they realize pretty quick that it isn't good and is not food. When they're as young as your little guy, they are still learning and figuring out what is ok to eat and what isn't. So, I suggest taking way the bedding for now and try again later.
thanks for the help. this being my first duck, I will probably be here a lot. lol.

Back
Top Bottom