Eating those very 1st eggs?

12GAGirl

Songster
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
I am just wondering are the very first eggs ok to eat? I was raised around chickens on my grandparents farm and for some reason my grandmother would not eat the first couple of eggs from a new pullet. She would feed them to the dogs for some reason. When my pullets began laying my mother told me not to eat the eggs and just like my grandmother had done I scrambled the first two for the dogs but after that I said I wasn't going to waste the eggs if they were normal eggs. So does anyone know whats up with that info or was it just my grandmother's preferrence. I have to say we ate the first eggs from our EEs and they were small and the whites were watery but they tasted just find.
idunno.gif

I think this is a fairly common belief from the old timer's. My house keeper threw a fit when I ate the first eggs from my pullets. Her mother insisted they were not fit to eat. I am not sure why this belief exists, they sure seemed the same to me. It seems like some of the old time farm folks believed this. I imagine it is that some of the first eggs can be a bit weird in shape etc.

We eat them, or I bake with them by weighing out enough to make the equivalent of 2 large eggs. I do crack them into a separate bowl first...just to be sure. Occassionally they will have 3-4 meat spots (still safe to eat) or an odd yolk.

Back
Top Bottom