Eating wild mushrooms causing problems?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChlorophyllChick, Aug 18, 2011.

  1. ChlorophyllChick

    ChlorophyllChick Out Of The Brooder

    35
    0
    32
    May 27, 2011
    With all the rain we have been having lately a lot of wild mushrooms have popped up in the yard. I have read some similar posts where people say that chickens won't continue to eat something that is bad for them so most people don't worry about wild mushrooms. The mushrooms look pecked to pieces so I know the chickens have been eating them a lot. However they seem to be having digestive trouble with something because they have been having some runny diarrhea. Unfortunately they started eating mushrooms around the same time they switched to a new food- they just started eating layer crumbles. Could adjusting to a new food be giving them problems or should I try to remove all of the wild mushrooms? They are not acting differently and seem to be perfectly healthy otherwise.
     
  2. southerndesert

    southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

    1,356
    12
    141
    Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    I have yet to see a chicken die from mushrooms and you are right they normally will not eat poisonous fungi or plants. I suppose there have been exceptions, but were it me I'd not worry....
     
  3. Gallo del Cielo

    Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

    5,227
    286
    288
    May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    You should use the search box in the upper right hand corner of your screen and use the terms "mushroom" and "dead" or "mushroom" and "died". Good luck.
     
  4. georgialee

    georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    My chickens ate some a whole back and completely stopped laying for a few weeks. I can't remember if they had other issues or not but the mushrooms can definitely affect them negatively.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by