eating your pet open discussion

Esther - one of our ex-bats - recently died. Whilst I personally couldn't face eating her, I do think it is ok. you know your hen has been looked after and had a lovely end to their working life. I would rather someone put her to good use than buying a caged bird to eat.

All of this reminds me of an episode of "All in the Family" when Archie asks Edith what she fixed him for lunch at work.  She told him it was a beef tongue sandwich.  He said he wasn't eating anything that came out of a cow's mouth.  She asked him what he wanted instead.  He said "Give me a couple of hard boiled eggs".

One man's meat is another man's poison.  :)

Rofl then I won't mention anything about Normans' Rocky Mountain Oysters :D

While my chickens are indeed my pets and I couldn't personally slaughter them or cook them without sobbing uncontrollably, I staunchly oppose the industrial meat complex that is deeply entrenched in North America. Raising meat animals in the current, inhumane conditions that is the norm may produce cheap meat. I believe there is a large and growing number of people who agree with me that the sacrifice we make for cheap meat is that these animals live horribly stressed and unhappy lives that lead to poor quality meat severely lacking flavor. While I can't slaughter my pet chickens myself, I would gladly purchase meat chickens, beef, pork, etc. from responsible farmers who provide their animals with humane living conditions and slaughtered their animals in the most humane way possible. I would happily pay the extra difference (and do, when it is available to me) for meat raised in this manner. If this means that my family of carnivores can only afford to eat meat once or twice a week, then that is the sacrifice we would be willing to make.

As someone who greatly appreciates good food, you can easily taste the difference between an animal allowed to happily graze or free-range in the products they produce. To me, nothing more clearly demonstrates this case than cheese. Cheeses made from cow's, goat's, or sheep's milk given the ability to graze all day on fresh grasses have a much more complex and earthy flavor than those raised on grains.

We have the power to change the industry. By identifying your local farmers and putting your money where your mouth is, we can tell the big meat producers that we will not tolerate the inhumane treatment of the animals who provide us with meat. I know I've been guilty of buying the cheap, industrially produced meat in the past but I vow to only support humanely raised livestock from now on. If we commit to this change, we can then change the industry. I commit to doing my part.

While my chickens are indeed my pets and I couldn't personally slaughter them or cook them without sobbing uncontrollably, I staunchly oppose the industrial meat complex that is deeply entrenched in North America. Raising meat animals in the current, inhumane conditions that is the norm may produce cheap meat. I believe there is a large and growing number of people who agree with me that the sacrifice we make for cheap meat is that these animals live horribly stressed and unhappy lives that lead to poor quality meat severely lacking flavor. While I can't slaughter my pet chickens myself, I would gladly purchase meat chickens, beef, pork, etc. from responsible farmers who provide their animals with humane living conditions and slaughtered their animals in the most humane way possible. I would happily pay the extra difference (and do, when it is available to me) for meat raised in this manner. If this means that my family of carnivores can only afford to eat meat once or twice a week, then that is the sacrifice we would be willing to make.

As someone who greatly appreciates good food, you can easily taste the difference between an animal allowed to happily graze or free-range in the products they produce. To me, nothing more clearly demonstrates this case than cheese. Cheeses made from cow's, goat's, or sheep's milk given the ability to graze all day on fresh grasses have a much more complex and earthy flavor than those raised on grains.

We have the power to change the industry. By identifying your local farmers and putting your money where your mouth is, we can tell the big meat producers that we will not tolerate the inhumane treatment of the animals who provide us with meat. I know I've been guilty of buying the cheap, industrially produced meat in the past but I vow to only support humanely raised livestock from now on. If we commit to this change, we can then change the industry. I commit to doing my part.
although I am a pescitarian I still agree with you entirely its like when buying eggs as our hens don't produce enough we are constantly buying eggs and it is so hard sometimes to find free range eggs there are more now but even so not all shops stock them and I refuse to buy or eat eggs from caged hens and you can tell the difference from the shells yolk and taste.

its the same with fish when I want to buy some smoked haddock which is my favourite fish it costs £15 to buy a fillet or two and its not something that you can go round buying all the time but when you do buy some it tastes completely different too the fish that has been kept in a tank

Esther - one of our ex-bats - recently died. Whilst I personally couldn't face eating her, I do think it is ok. you know your hen has been looked after and had a lovely end to their working life. I would rather someone put her to good use than buying a caged bird to eat.

what a great post completely on subject short and too the point while I don't eat chicken I think it is right what you are saying I was brought up not eating most meat so don't now but I agree with you entirely
goodpost.gif

We eat our chickens and the other animals we raise (sheep, pigs, etc) I've learned to go into it with the mindset of "this is livestock not a pet" now don't get me wrong, they are still well cared for. They have very nice living arrangements, we talk to them daily, they receive regular treats. I know their personalities and their quirks. But I don't go into it blind or pretending that their something that their not. I take pride in the fact that our food is treated well and leads happy lives rather them being factory raised.

I still can't quite bring myself to butcher though. My husband handles that and I help with the plucking.

When I was growing up, the rules were very simple. We didn't eat pets and we didn't make pets out of food. It is important to learn the difference.

We eat our chickens and the other animals we raise (sheep, pigs, etc) I've learned to go into it with the mindset of "this is livestock not a pet" now don't get me wrong, they are still well cared for. They have very nice living arrangements, we talk to them daily, they receive regular treats. I know their personalities and their quirks. But I don't go into it blind or pretending that their something that their not. I take pride in the fact that our food is treated well and leads happy lives rather them being factory raised.

I still can't quite bring myself to butcher though. My husband handles that and I help with the plucking.

X2...

Just saved my rooster from Sunday dinner by donating him to my aunts flock ... He WAS supposed to be din din, but I NAMED him, and coddled him, and was angry at the DH for telling me that's what we got him for..

All I could say is "I know, I know, but he's my Big Bird, not just a rooster" lol.... The hens, don't have names, get culled to the freezer, but I can't kill them. I pluck. But not Big Bird. He would have had to have been an anonymous bird in the freezer lol, but I still would have eaten him after the deed was done... No sense wasting meat.

But he would have been delicious; that rooster got fresh organic feed and scraps from my garden, plus herbs galore; yep, he'd have been delicious ;)

Last edited:
Personally, I could never imagine eating my chickens, even if I wasn't a vegetarian. They are my pets though, and I cried for the entire day when Christina Rossetti, who in my mind, is still the best pet I've ever had. I do believe though it is more humane to eat your chickens than if you bought it a t the store.

We end up with inevitable extra cockerels, and they get eaten. But, our layers and our keeper boy are named and loved. But, I'm going to be honest, I'd eat them before going hungry. And I'd eat them sooner than I'd eat my dogs.

Back
Top Bottom