Eats, Drinks, Poops, but Stumbles when she Walks

Old Mrs. MacDonald

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 2, 2011
Mount Airy, MD
Lucy is about a year and a half old. She is a silkie. About 4 days ago she didn't want treats when I gave them their morning worms. That was odd.

That night when I checked on them before bed, everyone was on the roost but Lucy. So I took her in the house and put her in the cage we can keep inside. I wanted to watch her. She eats good. She drinks good. Her poop looks normal.

What I have noticed is that when she walks she stumbles sideways and either catches herself with her wing or she just drops down to a sitting position instead of bothering to walk.

When you try to pick her up she squawks.

We have been giving her Duramycin at the recommendation of a friend. She isn't getting any better, but isn't getting any worse.

Help! We don't want to lose our Lucy, but don't know what to do to make her better.

Thanks!

ear infection maybe? look behind the feathers that cover her ears. If you see a dark yellowish colored wax plug in there you need to remove it and treat her with antibiotics.

Is she molting, by any chance? A lot of people have reported staggering, sideways walking, squat walking, etc., when chickens are molting, especially when in a heavy molt.

Lucy is about a year and a half old. She is a silkie. About 4 days ago she didn't want treats when I gave them their morning worms. That was odd.

That night when I checked on them before bed, everyone was on the roost but Lucy. So I took her in the house and put her in the cage we can keep inside. I wanted to watch her. She eats good. She drinks good. Her poop looks normal.

What I have noticed is that when she walks she stumbles sideways and either catches herself with her wing or she just drops down to a sitting position instead of bothering to walk.

When you try to pick her up she squawks.

We have been giving her Duramycin at the recommendation of a friend. She isn't getting any better, but isn't getting any worse.

Help! We don't want to lose our Lucy, but don't know what to do to make her better.

Thanks!

Hi, Mrs. McD ... sorry your Lucy isn't well.

Wondering why the Duramycin had been suggested, and how long this has been goin' on?

Duramycin is reportedly useful for the control of chronic respiratory disease (CRD) and air sac disease caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli; infectious synovitis caused by Mycoplasma synoviae sensitive to tetracycline hydrochloride.

Also, an excellent first step when any bird show any signs of weakness is to give 'em all Apple Cider Vinegar at the rate of 4 teaspoons to the gallon (but, not in galvanized metal containers). This does a whole lot of good things, including treatment of some conditions that it's the only one known to be effective, and also helps to get rid of any excess mucus from their systems, making it easier for them to take in nutrients/vitamins and medicine(s).

ACK! It looks like its worms. Really bad worms from what I've read because there was a curly white one about an inch long in her poop today.

I've gotten Safeguard and have treated all the chickens. Now I'm off to strip the coop of all bedding.

Hopefully the Safeguard will make things better.

Back
Top Bottom