EBONY THE ESCAPEE

Jul 9, 2020
Melbourne, Australia.
A few weeks ago, I was letting the girls free-range while I was busy cleaning their coop. I went over to check on them and found that one of five pullets was missing! I wasn’t too worried, Ebony was always in the weirdest places in my tiny yard. I looked literally everywhere, she was quite small then and couldn’t've flown over the gate or the fence. I called my sister to help look. It was especially hard since we had just cut down a tree and it was lying all over the lawn, she could’ve been anywhere in there. We looked under the whole thing and still couldn’t find her. My sister was by the fence when she told me she heard some noises on the other side. (You can see where this is going!) To make this worse, my next door neighbours' house was being demolished, and the whole place was a mess of rocks, wood and mud. I ran around (trespassing) and was shocked to see that my little chicken was sitting up on a branch, no thicker than a twig, high up in a tree! I managed to grab her, after a lot of chasing (She’s very fast) and took her back to the garden. Turns out, she had found a tiny hole under the fence and had squished under. Not sure I’m telling the story, it’s not that entertaining, but yeah. She's fine now! I patched up the whole with part of a palm tree, and we have had no more escaping since!
D74D1E5A-B6C1-49CC-BF6B-7D8CAAC7104B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom