Echo the Eclectus

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
21337_p1019036.jpg

She's 8 months old.

What a beautiful bird! I love Eclectus parrots. It's amazing that the females are the more colorful of the two. I see another parrot in the background. Do you have many birds? We used to have nanday conures and Goffins cockatoos. I would never own a conure again!

Quote:
Conures are crazy LOUD ...hahahaha,but then too, so are Cockatoos and Amazons and Quakers and Alexandrians and ...and... and..
i think if you like parrots , you have to be a bit hard of hearing.
beautiful Eclectus BTW. When i've see them they were usually 1/2 naked from feather picking, pooor dears ....

Last edited:
I read that you have a lory tell me about the care of them and the shreeks on loudness etc.

Lories have very messy poop. It is watery and sticky and shoots out of them and all over the walls. They aren't particularly loud, mine only makes cheeping noises and the occasional medium loud noise. They require a different diet then most birds though. They either need liquid nectar bought from a store as a powder along with vast quantities of fresh fruits and vegetables. Or alternatively you can sprinkle the powder on the fruits, like me. They are super hyper much like a Caique parrot. Mine loves jingle balls meant for cats. He drags them around with his foot. Please think carefully before getting one. With the wrong setup you will have a messy sticky poop all over your walls, floors, and cage bars. You need to wash the whole cage including the bars like every other week. It's so bad that the newspaper is drenched with poop within two or so days.

Here's picture of Pinto he's a Red Lory. There are many other types.

21337_p1010290.jpg

I see another parrot in the background. Do you have many birds? We used to have nanday conures and Goffins cockatoos. I would never own a conure again!

I have quite a few birds. 2 Senegal parrots, 2 cockatiels, 1 DYH Amazon, 1 S.I. Eclectus, and I also volunteer at a local parrot rescue as a foster home. I have a Timneh African Grey and a Red Lory from them that I'm fostering until they find forever homes.​

I had a black-capped lory. Yes, messy and loud. Their calls are a very high-pitched, ear-piercing shriek. They require special lory nectar food, not always that easy to find at pet stores. I loved him, great talker, absolute stand-up comedian, very interactive, but will never own another one. Also we went through one heck of a biting stage when he was a youngster, though that did get much better. And yes, I saw it out till the end. He died. I did not give him away. I have a real problem with people who don't keep their lifetime commitment to a parrot once they buy one. These birds form permanent attachments they never quite get over the loss of. I know because I had a couple of second-hand birds as well.

I had another bird person visit the lory didn't like. He wanted to bite her so bad but couldn't reach her, so he just aimed his back end at her and shot his liquid poop on her and it was intentional. True story. Yes, the walls behind the cage will catch it. I had to cover my walls around the cages with plastic.

Lories are not for the faint-at-heart and probably not the best parrot to start out with.

Connie

Back
Top Bottom