EcoGlow 20 vs. Heat lamp

I love my ecoglow 20. I have used it for 3 hatches since buying it in january. Since your chicks are still very young, it probably needs to be on the lowest level to be effective. They will spend quite a bit of time under it at first, but that's fine as long as they are still coming out to eat and drink as needed. They will spend more and more time away from it as they get older and need less heat. It makes it harder for us to watch them, but I think they appreciated a place to hide. I also like that they don't have artificial light on them 24/7. With the ecoglow, they stuck to a normal day/ night schedule. 

Yes the day/night recognition was important to me too!

I'm using the Eco glow with my first batch of chicks and I've had good luck so far. I had it on the lowest level until they had to duck down to get under it and seemed to spend more time sleeping in front of it than under it. At that point I raised it up to the second level and they were happy with that. I had my brooder set up almost identical to the original posters and I did find that it was very dark inside the tub so I added a little extra light durning the day. (A desk lamp that pointed in on the food and water) Other than that and the raised letters on the top which collect poop and are annoying to clean I really like the thing :).

I'm using the Eco glow with my first batch of chicks and I've had good luck so far. I had it on the lowest level until they had to duck down to get under it and seemed to spend more time sleeping in front of it than under it. At that point I raised it up to the second level and they were happy with that. I had my brooder set up almost identical to the original posters and I did find that it was very dark inside the tub so I added a little extra light durning the day. (A desk lamp that pointed in on the food and water) Other than that and the raised letters on the top which collect poop and are annoying to clean I really like the thing :).

Buy a roll of glad press and seal wrap. Put a piece on top and then replace as needed! The poo just peels off!

My 3 cents.
This is my first time with chicks. It has been a good lesson. My brooder is 3'x5' with plexiglass fronts and chicken wire top.
It's nice for chicks. But here are the issues.
The EcoGlow does work well but no for the whole brooder environment.
They need to not be stuck under it.
I had it divided and a sick chick on the other side, but the other s did not get the area heat like the sick on did and the sick one didn't get the security of the EcoGlow and the darkness to rest it needed.
So for now on I will have two Eco borders and to ceramic only heat lamps.
I found them at a pet store that sells lizards and such. But also order a spare with a protective cage for the dome. You have got to either make one or order one but do not, not have a cover over that heat source. That is just bad waiting to happen.

My chicks have the whole brooder now and are just havin allot of fun. Less bullying from the bigger guys, more warm area for them to roam around in. With the 250watt ceramic bulb on one end and the Eco on the other, I cover loosely the top with an old jersey sheet leaving areas open and the heat is staying at near 80. 75 is okay but they nap anywhere if it's at 80. But they just seem so much better with the Eco. At night it's where they go. The red lamp forget it. They would not go to bed at night, so we turned it off. But in the am they would be waiting for us to turn it on so it would warm up and they could come out. So we switched to ceramic, no light just heat. It's now weds of 2nd week and the Eco is to low, but it's next step is to high. Lowest, They had just there butts along the edges, not inside. Raised they were huddled over each other. So under the legs I placed 3 layers of cardboard taped, then taped in to the legs so they would not slide off. That made it raise half way and now they are all under it looking more comfortable and spaced out. I have small and large chicks so I have to be careful. For now on I will have two heat lamps and two Eco, or some other brand. Then I will feel better prepared.
Thanks for all your inputs also, I have learned so much from this great site!

Back
Top Bottom