EcoGlow 20 vs. Heat lamp

atindallb

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 17, 2014
We started our chicks out with a heat lamp when received this Wednesday 4/9 and switched to the EcoGlow 20 today 4/12. They're not as active and are nesting a lot.

Any concerns here, read great reviews on this product and felt safer leaving the house all day with this heat source compared to the heat lamp.

I've attached pictures of my brooder to help you experts tell me if I should return to the heat lamp.

Thank you for your time and support.

AB

I would say the behavior change is due to less light. Not that that's a bad thing. As long as they're not chirping and huddling together (too cold!) or, panting (too hot!), they're ok.

As you can see in the picture they seem to always be huddling under the heat source....

I returned them to the heat lamp and they're far more active, eating, drinking and acting like chicks, where with the EcoGlow they appear to be working too hard to stay warm.

Perhaps I need to lower the EcoGlow to the 1st level.

Here's the breeds (not sure if that matters).

1 Buff Laced Polish, 3 Black Copper Marans, 1 Blue Copper Marans, 3 Lavender Marans, 2 Cuckoo Orpingtons, 2 Easter Eggers, 3 Ameraucanas (BBS)

Thanks for helping the rookie!

Yea, their are 15 and they have spent most of the day under the EcoGlow 20. I'm wondering if my product is defective. Haven't read any reviews that speak to this issue.

I use the Eco-glows and really like them a lot. I would definitely start them out with it on the lowest level. It's a "contact" heat source so they need to be able to touch it. (they will sit on top of it after a while too)

The other thing I would do is put the unit under the more solid side of your brooder cover vs under the open wire end. I have mine in a similar tub set-up but the end with the unit is more closed off, possibly keeping a bit more heat in. Mine are active when it's bright daylight or I turn the room lights on, they settle under the unit when the light is dimming.

I have nine 6 day olds and they love the ecoglo. You need to have as low as possible so their backs touch when they go underneath. I put a flat thermometer under it for a few hours the other day and it was 93 degrees. Mine seems to go under and come out to eat/play equally.

I love my ecoglow 20. I have used it for 3 hatches since buying it in january. Since your chicks are still very young, it probably needs to be on the lowest level to be effective. They will spend quite a bit of time under it at first, but that's fine as long as they are still coming out to eat and drink as needed. They will spend more and more time away from it as they get older and need less heat. It makes it harder for us to watch them, but I think they appreciated a place to hide. I also like that they don't have artificial light on them 24/7. With the ecoglow, they stuck to a normal day/ night schedule.

Back
Top Bottom