EcoGlow 50 - the Larger Chick Brood for helping keep adults hens warm

Henna56

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
would the EcoGlow 50 - the Larger Chick Brood be good to help keep a couple of adult hens warm during winter in a large coop? I was thinking of mounting it above their favourite roosting spot....or is that just crazy thinking...

Last edited:
I think that could definitely work. I'm not sure how much heat would reach the hens on their roost, but I'm sure it would help at least a little.

However, I wouldn't be too concerned about your hens staying warm. Chickens are very hardy and can survive temperatures that are in the negative numbers. Just make sure your coop is draft free, well ventilated, and has a good layer of bedding, and your hens would probably be fine without supplemental heat.

thank you!my coop is draft free and well ventilated--but it is large for just 2 hens--

Those plates work by the chicks almost touching the bottom of the plate....so not sure it would benefit a larger bird unless it was precisely placed.

The size of the coop does not really effect how warm they stay, good cold acclimation and feather growth is what keeps them warm.

Folks often think a smaller coop will 'hold heat' and keep chicken warmer.....but adequate ventilation throws that theory out the window(or out the vent-haha)

Back
Top Bottom