EcoGlow 600 is so very hot

johnsonhillfarm

Songster
Jul 1, 2021
My guinea keets are arriving Wednesday and I bought a new Ecoglow 600. Plugged it in today and it got so hot I could not touch the plate and the plug felt very warm. Has anyone else had this issue? Will the keets get burned if I cannot even touch it? I will be calling Brinsea tomorrow for help, but doubt I can get a replacement by Wednesday so not sure what to do now. The brooder is indoors and I was concerned about using a heat lamp, but that might be my only choice right now.

I suspect the Ecoglow can be defective. :idunno One way to see if it is working properly ,,,,,, is placing a thermometer on the bottom where your keets will be walking around,,,, and see the temperature. Set up the Ecoglow at the highest phisical position, so the temperature below should be the lowest.
1626160767478.png

Take into consideration, that if you use a heatlamp,,,,,, the lamp gets HOT beyond touch temp. But a significant distance below/under, the chicks are comfortably warm.

Then after you get your temperature readings underneath,,, you can determine if it is correct, or broken, (overheating)

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

I suspect the Ecoglow can be defective. :idunno One way to see if it is working properly ,,,,,, is placing a thermometer on the bottom where your keets will be walking around,,,, and see the temperature. Set up the Ecoglow at the highest phisical position, so the temperature below should be the lowest.
View attachment 2757785
Take into consideration, that if you use a heatlamp,,,,,, the lamp gets HOT beyond touch temp. But a significant distance below/under, the chicks are comfortably warm.

Then after you get your temperature readings underneath,,, you can determine if it is correct, or broken, (overheating)

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Thank you! The guineas just arrived at Post Office and I ordered a new EcoGlow that is arriving in a few hours so will just use this hotter ecoglow until new one gets here (just decided to order new one and send this one back) and will keep it a little higher. my temp was showing it to be like 79 underneath but I understand that is not very accurate to measure and to go buy how keets respond by huddling/cheeping if it is too cold. I have a heating pad too I can make into a little cave for them if I must. Hoping Fed Ex is fast today!

You can make a DIY brooder plate using a heating pad. Just get the kind that doesn't have auto shut off. I ordered mine from Amazon. Look up "mama heating pad" - lots of good info and DIY ideas. That's what I always use and it works great! Cheap, easy and reliable.

I am having the very same concern as you. My new Brinsea 600 feels extremely hot to the touch. Did the new replacement Brinsea feel extremely hot like your first one? I have chicks arriving in less than 2 days.

I am having the very same concern as you. My new Brinsea 600 feels extremely hot to the touch. Did the new replacement Brinsea feel extremely hot like your first one? I have chicks arriving in less than 2 days.
The new one was the same so I talked to someone at Brinsea and they explained yes it is hot and the chicks know not to touch their backs to it and to make sure the ecoglow is at a height where they can be under without touching it. He said since it is radiant heat it will be very hot on the actual plate. He also said because there is a transformer in the plug, the plug will always feel warm as well. I have had it going non stop since July 12th and my guineas are doing wonderful. I also have a heating pad under the brooder where the ecoglow is and they seem to enjoy laying flat on that. I just monitor how they are behaving to know how high to put ecoglow up and when to use the heating pad. Hope that helps!

My two heat plates are usually between 95 and 110 if I hold a thermometer up against it for a few minutes. I always tilt mine (low in the back, higher in the front), and that way the chicks can find the spot that is most comfy to them! I find the first few days they are under a lot, but then usually only occasionally and at night they have their butts under with heads peeking out! The lowest temp it’s been in the room is 65, and they are feathering out & running/fluttering around all day! ❤️ I was scared the plates were too hot but I read through a bunch of heat plate threads & the temps seem just about right with a thermometer directly on it to measure! Good luck w your chicks!

The new one was the same so I talked to someone at Brinsea and they explained yes it is hot and the chicks know not to touch their backs to it and to make sure the ecoglow is at a height where they can be under without touching it. He said since it is radiant heat it will be very hot on the actual plate. He also said because there is a transformer in the plug, the plug will always feel warm as well. I have had it going non stop since July 12th and my guineas are doing wonderful. I also have a heating pad under the brooder where the ecoglow is and they seem to enjoy laying flat on that. I just monitor how they are behaving to know how high to put ecoglow up and when to use the heating pad. Hope that helps!
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it 🙂

I was doing my research and I’m so glad I found your response and I thank you so much! My little chicks arrived today and I just found out it was too hot to the touch. Now I put it at what I think is the right height. My chicks seem happy.

Back
Top Bottom