EcoGlow Chick Brooder

I did keep chicks in my garage when it was chilly this fall, like in October, with an Ecoglow, but they were older and had some feathers. They did fine and slept under it for a while; when they stopped sleeping under it I took it out. The recommendation is to have the ambient temperature 50 degrees or more. Right now, though, I'm not keeping little chicks in the garage with their sole heat source the Eco. Those chicks have a broody hen and are doing great. The ones with the Eco are in the house, and they use it at night when the house is cooler.

I'm going to put them in the basement for two weeks then out to the garage. I hope by March 3rd it will be warmer here in NW IL.
Thank you for your replies.
Kevin

The coupon codes are still working....I'm looking at the incubator sale...knocks the price Of an Octo Eco 20 and auto turner to under $200 right now.

The coupon codes are still working....I'm looking at the incubator sale...knocks the price Of an Octo Eco 20 and auto turner to under $200 right now.
My coupon codes work: TheChickenChick or ADozenGirlz will get you 10% off any purchase. Call customer service with your order if you have trouble doing it online yourself. The codes are cap sensitive, so type them exactly as shown.

I'm trying to decide which one I want ;)

If you are wondering about the EcoGlows, I would get the 50 model as it is MUCH easier to adjust the height as chicks grow. I have two 20s and a 50 and I've snapped off the tabs on one end panel of one of the 20s, so I have to use something to hold up one end if I am using both of them. I loaned my 50 unit to a friend who is raising 35 meaties.

If you are wondering which incubator to get, it depends on how many eggs you might want to hatch at a time. 7 or less, go with the Mini Advance EX unit; more than that, get an Octagon 20 Advance Ex. I have both and I love 'em.

I used the ADozenGirlz to get the Mini Eco Manual 10 egg incubator! On day 12 right now!!! I already have the EcoGlow20 and EcoGlow50 and have absolutely loved them! Last year was my first experience with chicks. Have never used a heat lamp. After reading the reviews, I went straight to the EcoGlow!!! Can't say enough good about Brinsea products!!!
love.gif

Hey I read your comment, I have just bought an ecoglow 20 to brood 13 bantam chicks im getting as day olds. Do you need to check temperatures or set it at certain temperatures? Im a bit worried about that and whether the little ones will be too cold or hot.

Dean

Hey I read your comment, I have just bought an ecoglow 20 to brood 13 bantam chicks im getting as day olds. Do you need to check temperatures or set it at certain temperatures? Im a bit worried about that and whether the little ones will be too cold or hot.

Dean

There is no "setting" to adjust - you just plug it in. For bantam day-olds, place the heater part in the lowest of the three slots on the side panel stand. Or, you could set one side on the middle slot and the other side on the lowest slot. Be careful, as you can snap the plastic tabs off.... But with it set higher on one side than the other, the babies can skootch down at one side to warm up more quickly, then move to the other, slightly higher side at will. This means you may not have to adjust the height until they grow bigger. What I am trying to say is with it on an angle, you won't have to adjust the height as soon as if it the unit was level at the lowest height.

Generally, you raise the height as the chicks grow larger.

If you are brooding in the house, all will be fine. The units need to be in an area where the ambient room temperature does not fall below 50 degrees. It doesn't heat enough to compensate for lower temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom