EcoGlow Chick Brooder

Look at this trio of bad boys up on top:lol: I do suspect these ones could be roos...they have all taken a peck at me when I caught them
43b560fd.jpg

I forgot contact paper while out. Blargh.
HA! Rebels without a cause. :)

Question - how long will the chicks need the ecoglow? I have one (and LOVE IT) and my little ones are 3 weeks old. They barely seem to go under it at all. Wondering how long they will need access to it?

Question - how long will the chicks need the ecoglow? I have one (and LOVE IT) and my little ones are 3 weeks old. They barely seem to go under it at all. Wondering how long they will need access to it?
It really depends where the brooder is and what the temps are in the room.

If you think you need the heat in your coop, I would use it,, I would have no problem with the safety factor using this in my coop .

You can raise it up so it sits higher for the bigger babies to go under it, tho mine are right now 6 weeks old, a few of them could fit under it laying down, not sure they would fit if they were 4/5 months old tho

Thanx Jakoda, I guess I will have to see how filled out they are when winter hits (the 4week olds are looking pretty scrawny now- they are Jersey Giants so are slower to develop I hear) -- I was thinking I could put the Eco Glow up on bricks or something to increase the height....

Its in our basement, temps run about 65 I would say.

EDIT that was supposed to quote ADozenGirlz

Last edited:
That's the amazing thing that I've found about the EcoGlow, they are quite through using it very early on, certainly much earlier than "The Formula" would suggest. I just leave it plugged in for as long as I notice they sleep under it. It uses a negligable amount of energy and if they like the security of it vs. needing the warmth of it, that's good enough for me. LOVE this product!

I just found this thread & I bought the first EcoGlow 50 when they first came out & its been smooth sailing ever since. Easy to use & no more cooking the Iddies. I wish they could put a temp gauge on it some how. I put one under it but it gets pooped on & hard to read. Totally recommend this product along with there DX 40 incubator. I don't mind spending money for great products. I got my money back real fast & hatching & brooding is a lot easier. Plus, you don't have to worry about fires & as mentioned less electricity is needed.

First night with my chicks last night, and was so very thankful I dug deep and bought the EcoGlow as we lost power, and had to bring the brooder box into the house from the barn where we have a generator. I would never have slept if there was a heat lamp in here, no doubt. I do have a question for experienced EcoGlow users, I have the EG on the lowest height adjustment, and even though my chicks are only 3 days old, they seem a bit large for it. Is it ok to raise it to the middle setting, or should I just leave it on the lowest for now?

Back
Top Bottom