Ecoglow20 questions?

Our chicks JUST arrived. I stuck them under a few times, but I'm not that worried because the ambient temperature in the room they are in is 85 Degrees anyway. But I have a different question. What lighting do you use when you have this device? Should I just turn the light off at night or should I leave a light on for a few days and then start just turning it off at night? Do they need a colored light still?

I'm under the impression that having a light on all the time is not ideal; they're better off altogether with the most natural daylight schedule you can give them. I'm not sure if I can point to a specific reason I think that -- probably just reading stuff here and there on the internet. I also suspect the reason most use a colored heat lamp is to lessen the effect of nighttime light on these totally diurnal creatures.

That said, I found that my chicks had a much easier time actually going to bed if I dimmed the lights gradually. I had them in my office in early spring, and I would often need to be in there after dark so I'd have artificial light and they'd be up and about. If I turned the light completely off, so they went from totally light to total dark, they would always fuss and peep and cry and they couldn't figure out how to get from wherever they were to wherever they wanted to sleep (under the brooder, usually). BUT if I turned off the light in the room but left the hallway light on, and/or made sure my computer monitor was still on, providing them with a period of half-light, then they'd reliably use that time to make their way to bed and they'd stay much quieter at night.

I used an Ecoglow and it worked great. I did have to put them under it a few times but they learned quickly. When they were about 2 1/2 weeks old I put them and the warmer out in the coop and they really enjoyed sitting on top of it and under it to keep warm. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

I turned my light completely out. I loved my Ecoglow 20. When my chicks first arrived after eating and drinking, i put each chick (10) under the EcoGlow. I placed my hand in front until each one felt the warmth. I had ABSOLUTELY NO problems with my 10 after that. They started regulation with heat immediately. At dusk just by instinct alone, each chick cuddled under the EcoGlow for their nights rest. I felt very blessed because each chick came and went as they pleased and at each night they all cuddled together again. They did this until i had to raise the height as high as it would go and they feathered nicely. I wish id bought mine a lot sooner! I still have all 10 chicks (thank God) and they are getting big!

Back
Top Bottom