Ecuador - moving info

Sep 22, 2020
Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct place for this post.

I wanted to know about anyone who may have traveled/relocated their chickens to south America. Not sure how many of you there are, if any. I might be the only one trying to do something so nutsy. (Please spare me the lecture on relocating my flock)

I have been trying to move for almost a year now. I finally received confirmation from AACargo (american airlines). They specialize in shipping pets.

They reached out to the Guayaquil Airport and also received confirmation. They sent me information and some links for to follow up with. I had a local friend write to the local Agrocenter to follow through on that end. And I've hit a road block.

It has been made clear that my chickens will not be treated like pets (that's ok.) But since they are farm animals that I would need a permit to import them. (Also ok.)

Now here is where I'm struggling - there is no real physical information that I have found about importing my chickens (at least not from Ecuador's side). I've found a few things on the US APHIS site that has lead me to info but nothing concrete to confirm they wont be denied entry on arrival.

Several people have told my friend that they cannot come to the country. But I'm under the impression that they are thinking about airplanes and they are just guessing generally or sourcing their info from airplane guidelines. Which I already know, hence the cargo company and hence them specifically checking locally.

I'm confused why I was told to get a permit but now i cant find that info anywhere.

I am confused why the cargo company said they received confirmation that it is allowed to import the chickens and why the opposite end is lacking solid evidence to prove this or otherwise disprove it.

Also, I have emailed on more than one occasion but no response from any of the places I've emailed (and it was in spanish)

It's a long shot but does anyone know anything about importing livestock to Ecuador. Or has anyone done it with surrounding countries?

I will not go anywhere without my chickens but I desperately need real answers so I can make important life decisions.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210123-153654_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210123-153654_Gmail.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Are you that attached to your chickens? I would think that the sensible thing to do in this situation is to rehome them and get new chickens once you relocate. The stress of a car ride is bad enough, I would be afraid they wouldn’t survive a plane ride - especially such a long one.

I brought a canary from Korea to the US. I think that APHIS really wouldn't care; it will all be on Ecuador's side (health certifications, quarantine, etc). Have you called the Ecuadorian embassy? In Korea, the US embassy put me in touch with APHIS, which was how I got the info I needed.

The airline just wanted their money! Buying his ticket was the easiest part, and they were NO help in the whole process.

I brought a canary from Korea to the US. I think that APHIS really wouldn't care; it will all be on Ecuador's side (health certifications, quarantine, etc). Have you called the Ecuadorian embassy? In Korea, the US embassy put me in touch with APHIS, which was how I got the info I needed.

The airline just wanted their money! Buying his ticket was the easiest part, and they were NO help in the whole process.

Ok this is great info! I will try to contact them via this way! I'm hoping for good news.

Are you that attached to your chickens? I would think that the sensible thing to do in this situation is to rehome them and get new chickens once you relocate. The stress of a car ride is bad enough, I would be afraid they wouldn’t survive a plane ride - especially such a long one.

My chickens were relocated once before. They did really well. This will be an easier journey. Much more direct plane route and pick up. I'm 100% confident in their well being for the trip.

And I'm extremely attached to them. Im not going anywhere without them. I'll choose a new home before I give them up. They are my pets. I signed up to care for them. But my birds are very happy and healthy. So I'm just really hoping for a solution quickly. I need to make some choices.

My moms whole family was born and raised there and now live in the US ( i still have 100+ family in educator)my great grandmother had 16 kids and they all had lots of kids

There are a lot of chickens in Ecuador already. And so many of them are awesome!!

I realize that you are coming from a position of attachment to your own chickens in the US or Canada as your pets. This is much more common in wealthy countries with dog and cat people who have resources than it is for bringing chickens to Ecuador.

Ecuador has a lot of really beautiful and amazing chickens already. You can find so many cute and super friendly chickens that lay blue or green eggs! South America is where the blue egg gene originated!!!

I live near Ecuador and am also from a wealthy country. However, I am lower-resourced so never considered importing a US chicken here when I can find chickens locally and I can let them go broody and hatch their own chickies and multiply on their own.

I can also talk to local people and obtain chicks if necessary.

My entire flock is from South America.

I am on the way to a project that involves lovely blue and green eggs as well as selecting in favor of cute traits like toppy.

There is no need whatsoever to bring chickens or hatching eggs from the United States to do this.

If I had to go back to the US, there is no way I could or would bring chickens or hatching eggs, as much as I love my flock here. There is no reason to do that and the importation expenses are too high.

If you move internationally, you can start a flock in your new place as long as chickens are allowed in the new place.

Sometimes ya just gotta start over....that’s the breaks....

What I’m saying might sound tough, but it is the reality for most people who are, um, “non-elite.”

P.S. I am saying this as a person who has helped multiple neighbors spay and neuter numerous dogs and cats. I have worked to bring animal consciousness to Latin America.

P.S. If you ever swing by Cotacachi, say hey to Sully’s Street Dog Dinners. He has done a lot for Ecuadorian street doggies!

Last edited:
Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct place for this post.

I wanted to know about anyone who may have traveled/relocated their chickens to south America. Not sure how many of you there are, if any. I might be the only one trying to do something so nutsy. (Please spare me the lecture on relocating my flock)

I have been trying to move for almost a year now. I finally received confirmation from AACargo (american airlines). They specialize in shipping pets.

They reached out to the Guayaquil Airport and also received confirmation. They sent me information and some links for to follow up with. I had a local friend write to the local Agrocenter to follow through on that end. And I've hit a road block.

It has been made clear that my chickens will not be treated like pets (that's ok.) But since they are farm animals that I would need a permit to import them. (Also ok.)

Now here is where I'm struggling - there is no real physical information that I have found about importing my chickens (at least not from Ecuador's side). I've found a few things on the US APHIS site that has lead me to info but nothing concrete to confirm they wont be denied entry on arrival.

Several people have told my friend that they cannot come to the country. But I'm under the impression that they are thinking about airplanes and they are just guessing generally or sourcing their info from airplane guidelines. Which I already know, hence the cargo company and hence them specifically checking locally.

I'm confused why I was told to get a permit but now i cant find that info anywhere.

I am confused why the cargo company said they received confirmation that it is allowed to import the chickens and why the opposite end is lacking solid evidence to prove this or otherwise disprove it.

Also, I have emailed on more than one occasion but no response from any of the places I've emailed (and it was in spanish)

It's a long shot but does anyone know anything about importing livestock to Ecuador. Or has anyone done it with surrounding countries?

I will not go anywhere without my chickens but I desperately need real answers so I can make important life decisions.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.
my mom said that chickens are very cheap over there and IMO I would rehome them and with the money saved from not paying those fees I would use it to get new chickens and stuff for them.

There are a lot of chickens in Ecuador already. And so many of them are awesome!!

I realize that you are coming from a position of attachment to your own chickens in the US or Canada as your pets. This is much more common in wealthy countries with dog and cat people who have resources than it is for bringing chickens to Ecuador.

Ecuador has a lot of really beautiful and amazing chickens already. You can find so many cute and super friendly chickens that lay blue or green eggs! South America is where the blue egg gene originated!!!

I live near Ecuador and am also from a wealthy country. However, I am lower-resourced so never considered importing a US chicken here when I can find chickens locally and I can let them go broody and hatch their own chickies and multiply on their own.

I can also talk to local people and obtain chicks if necessary.

My entire flock is from South America.

I am on the way to a project that involves lovely blue and green eggs as well as selecting in favor of cute traits like toppy.

There is no need whatsoever to bring chickens or hatching eggs from the United States to do this.

If I had to go back to the US, there is no way I could or would bring chickens or hatching eggs, as much as I love my flock here. There is no reason to do that and the importation expenses are too high.

If you move internationally, you can start a flock in your new place as long as chickens are allowed in the new place.

Sometimes ya just gotta start over....that’s the breaks....

What I’m saying might sound tough, but it is the reality for most people who are, um, “non-elite.”

P.S. I am saying this as a person who has helped multiple neighbors spay and neuter numerous dogs and cats. I have worked to bring animal consciousness to Latin America.

P.S. If you ever swing by Cotacachi, say hey to Sully’s Street Dog Dinners. He has done a lot for Ecuadorian street doggies!

I appreciate you taking the time to write everything. I understand your point of view however I wont be going anywhere without them. If it doesnt work out then I will relocate where I can have them. But thank you for sharing your story. I really want to add some green/blue Eggers when I have the chance.

Back
Top Bottom