Edgewood, NM - New Chicken Guy

Powellcole5490

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2016
Edgewood, New Mexico
Hello everyone,

I've lurked around this site quite a bit, but now it's time to go ahead and sign up to be a part of this fantastic source of information. My wife, our daughter (16 months old), and myself very recently purchased 8 chickens to join our family. 2 Buff Orphington, 2 barred sex-linked something, 3 Ameracuanas, and 1 more we just call roxie. We just moved onto a 13 acre farm here in New Mexico. I'm hoping to meet up with someone local who can impart some chicken wisdom on us. Thanks for all the information. I've already learned so much.

Coleman

I'm not local but in the same general region as you; my Sister lives just up the road from you in Los Alamos. You're in a nice area. As far as general stuff goes I'd say protect well against predators, take care to provide shade in the summer, and don't worry about the cold in the winter. I'm raising my first flock now and I noticed they seem to like the chilly mornings but they'll stay out of the sun when it gets in the high 80's. And like xxmingirl said, take a look at the learning center for any specific questions you might have.

:welcome

The learning centre is great for beginners :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

Do you have any photos?

I don't have too many. Here are just a couple from my phone. The picture of the chicks is the first day we brought them home. They are much bigger now and we have added the three ameracuanas.

I'm not local but in the same general region as you; my Sister lives just up the road from you in Los Alamos. You're in a nice area. As far as general stuff goes I'd say protect well against predators, take care to provide shade in the summer, and don't worry about the cold in the winter. I'm raising my first flock now and I noticed they seem to like the chilly mornings but they'll stay out of the sun when it gets in the high 80's. And like xxmingirl said, take a look at the learning center for any specific questions you might have.

Thanks for the info!!! We took our chicks out into the backyard to play around a bit and they loved playing in the shade! The sun was too hot for them. I need to keep that in mind when they move into the coop. Thanks again!

Hello everyone,

I've lurked around this site quite a bit, but now it's time to go ahead and sign up to be a part of this fantastic source of information.  My wife, our daughter (16 months old), and myself very recently purchased 8 chickens to join our family.  2 Buff Orphington, 2 barred sex-linked something, 3 Ameracuanas, and 1 more we just call roxie.  We just moved onto a 13 acre farm here in New Mexico.  I'm hoping to meet up with someone local who can impart some chicken wisdom on us.  Thanks for all the information.  I've already learned so much.

Coleman
Hi guys hope your chicks do well! I use to live in moriarty 3 years ago so im from your neck of the woods i live in deming now

Hi guys hope your chicks do well! I use to live in moriarty 3 years ago so im from your neck of the woods i live in deming now

Oh wow very close. Actually, I live in between Edgewood and Moriarty but its actually closer to Moriarty than Edgewood. If you ever drove down Dinkle road, you surely drove by my house.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Glad you already found someone in the neighborhood. To find you state thread - just put New Mexico in the search box and it will pop up.

My sister lives in Bernalillo, and my niece in Rio Rancho. I can't handle heat.

Back
Top Bottom