Edible egg question...

Chicky Joy

Songster
11 Years
Jun 22, 2008
One of my chickens layed an egg on the ground outside the coop today. I brought it in and washed the dirt off of it. I'm 99% certain it was layed today. I noticed that it is lighter in color and the shell has a rough texture. What does it mean when an egg has a rough shell? It also has a large brownish red spot on the fat end. I'm not sure but I'm thinking I won't be eating this egg. I'm not really concerned about it being on the ground unless that somehow effected the egg itselt...

Besides the texture, the color was my biggest worry. My hens have consistently layed dark eggs and his one is quite a few shades lighter. Does this mean anything?

As layers get older their egg shells tend to become progressively lighter.

The texture can vary from time to time, no big cause for concern.

It just seemed off because the egg resembled some eggs I found in the coop when I was cleaning it. They eggs had been layed over the edge of a box and had fallen down onto the ground behind it. It is a bit of a dark corner so I didn't see them when I was collecting eggs. I pitched those eggs. This egg just looked a lot like those...not quite right. Any thoughts?

I usually say. If in doubt pitch it out! Be on the safe side.
thumbsup.gif

Antique Buff,

That is usually my philosophy as well. I just didn't want to get carried away since I knew this was a fresh egg and all. Oh well.

We also get a ton of double yolk eggs. My husband just boiled two last night to make some egg salad. Many of our eggs have little brownish red specks in them (only one or two tiny specks in one egg). I don't really worry about it. It probably is a little bit of blood. I don't know the cause. I usually pick them out before I cook the egg, but that's sort of just a personal preference.

I wouldn't throw it out right away. I'd put it in the fridge so I knew which one it was, and when I needed an egg I'd crack it in a bowl and check it out. If all appeared fine, I'd eat it...

I think you are talking about meat spots.
It's cells that slough off during the egg formation process. They just happen. You can just pick them out. Commercial egg places scan for them and remove before packaging.

Back
Top Bottom