Edit: 5 1/2 week old pics(pg4)Barred Rock "baby"

This was my pullet when she was not too much older than yours. Hope this helps a bit x

Last edited:
My cuckoo marans have yellow and black feet and they look just like that and my barred rocks never had large beaks like that

My cuckoo marans have yellow and black feet and they look just like that and my barred rocks never had large beaks like that
humm.. so another guessing game I guess.. maybe we will know for sure soon?
idunno.gif

Some hatcheries sell chicks as Cuckoo Maran's but they have yellow legs because they are actually a mix. A true Cuckoo Maran will not have yellow legs, but white like previously mentioned. Barred rocks have distinct barring where as CM's are more muddled. It is hard to tell with Baby. I would post a new updated pic.

Some hatcheries sell chicks as Cuckoo Maran's but they have yellow legs because they are actually a mix. A true Cuckoo Maran will not have yellow legs, but white like previously mentioned. Barred rocks have distinct barring where as CM's are more muddled. It is hard to tell with Baby. I would post a new updated pic.
humm.. thanks for the info! The ones I posted are only a couple days old so I will wait a lil so we can see how she has changed.. We love her/him regardless but this is interesting! Thanks again!

PULLET, is my guess.
There is a person on here hatching 30 barred rock and they think they can sex them and plan to band them accorrding to their guesses to see how the theories work out....based on leg color (females darker legs), feather coloring (lighter grey with more white are male/darker female), and something about a uniform spot on head would be female? (but for that one I think it's so hard to tell, maybe the spot thing is only based on new chicks spots?
Anyway,
Based on those assumptions, I think yours is a pullet.
I think mine is a roo (this is Rocky at 3 1/2 weeks)

Back
Top Bottom