Edit she passed this morning šŸ˜¢. Puffy hen, wheeze when lifted, lethargic

Pookey1

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 28, 2014
Hi everyone, hoping for a little advice. Cocid, could be a cause but there's so many possibilities I thought I'd give detailed symptoms and see what you thought. The vet cannot see her but has prescribed some meds.

one of my rescue hens has got very poorly this week, shes puffy, her crop has flopped and darkened at the tip. When I pick her up there's a wheeze noise but her breathing is OK. She is tipping her head back and opening the beak like a gasp sometimes so I think it's viral. She's eating very little. The Vet can't see her and prescribed antibiotics (no name given) and a wormer on Monday. (Irish farming county all vets are drowning in field work) I felt in her vent over an inch and could not feel any blockage. She's walking but a little Lame when hopping through the pop hole and falls on one wing. I've given her a little CBD oil too to see if that helps. They always have cider vinegar in water.

Any help appreciated

Sorry about your hen. Being a rescue, she could have had a reproductive disorder, crop problem, or respiratory infection. It just is hard to know right away. When I lose a bird, I do a home necropsy, and in many states in the US, there is a state vet who will perform a necropsy for a fee. Sorry for your loss.

Un
Sorry about your hen
Thank you, we had big cuddles last night. She was from a battery farm so she had a lovely free range life for 6 months.
Sorry about your hen. Being a rescue, she could have had a reproductive disorder, crop problem, or respiratory infection. It just is hard to know right away. When I lose a bird, I do a home necropsy, and in many states in the US, there is a state vet who will perform a necropsy for a fee. Sorry for your loss.
thank you for your advice and warm wishes. We had a big cuddle last night and she fell asleep on my knee x

Attachments

• 810D04DA-6DED-4D35-9901-769DE23479BA.jpeg
    810D04DA-6DED-4D35-9901-769DE23479BA.jpeg
    950.9 KB · Views: 5
Sorry for your loss. I lost one similarly very suddenly late last week, she had always done rather poorly in the spring for the past few years and normally I'd catch it early and a few days of R&R in the garage with extra food and vitamins did her fine. She faded away quickly and passed away in about 36 hours. Very sad.

Back
Top Bottom