Edmond Oklahoma

Just read your post about raising chickens in Edmond. I would like to know what I can do to help the cause of getting them allowed in city limits. We live on 2.5 acres and horses are allowed. I can't see why chickens shouldn't be allowed as well.

I'm just across the line in Oklahoma county and am on an acreage. I have chickens and guineas. I support you. I would like to see a law that would allow say 3 hens in a small lot and more in say 3/4 ac. If you can have horses, then chickens should be ok. My roster makes less noise then a dog. Less smell too. Did someone say they wanted to help garden. I have 150 x 160 fenced to keep deer out. I hurt my shoulder so gardening may be a challenge for me this year.

I'm an Edmond native that only recently returned after living in OKC for most of my life.

We've only been in Edmond a year and I guess the wife and I are already anarchists because the first thing we did was break the law and buy a chicken coop and some chickens. Our lawlessness must have been contagious because soon after, one of our neighbors bought about 15 Guinea Fowl to patrol all our yards for ticks and such.

I initially got some advice from this website a couple of months ago.

In the last few days I read this article in the Oklahoman.....

Edmond has Outlaw Chickens!

This article brought me back here. I really hope more people post and we can make a positive influence on the laws which ban something that is so practical, educational and rewarding (when done correctly).

I'm an Edmond native that only recently returned after living in OKC for most of my life.

We've only been in Edmond a year and I guess the wife and I are already anarchists because the first thing we did was break the law and buy a chicken coop and some chickens. Our lawlessness must have been contagious because soon after, one of our neighbors bought about 15 Guinea Fowl to patrol all our yards for ticks and such.

I initially got some advice from this website a couple of months ago.

In the last few days I read this article in the Oklahoman.....

Edmond has Outlaw Chickens!

This article brought me back here. I really hope more people post and we can make a positive influence on the laws which ban something that is so practical, educational and rewarding (when done correctly).

Just read the article, How funny! Although I do not reside in Oklahoma I do have family in the Agra area and in Moore... How dumb that folks can put a horse on the property but not chickens? I think the one who made the law must have had a chicken phobia!!

I live in Edmond and am interested in having back yard chickens. I wrote to my city councilwoman and she actually called me to discuss it. She said she is in real estate and has had others ask her about whether or not they were allowed. She suggested I go to the next city council meeting and talk about it during the Citizens Comments period. She said I should ask for it to be put on the agenda. So, tomorrow (4/28/14) is the next meeting and I'll be there! Surely we aren't the only two people in Edmond who would like to do this. Please feel free to come. It's at 20 South Littler. Starts at 5:30 p.m. The agenda is posted online, and it looks like a long one, so I probably won't get up to speak until late.

Did you make it the city council meeting? Me and my neighbors would like to see this ordinance changed. What can I do to help???

I live just outside the Edmond city limits on 10 ac and am a legal chicken owner. Ok they are my pets lay eggs and crow. Anyway, last night as I was going into my hen house to feed, I did not look back at the door as I shut it. I slamed the door on one of my hens beaks. It was bleeding and she was in pain. I picked her up and know she was injured and felt real badly about it. I called a few vets and no one treats birds or chickens. I asked for OSU's vet hospital. I called them and they treat chickens. I put her is a small cage and loaded her into the front seat of my truck and drove up. They checked her and found an open fracture to one of the bones of her face. She needed surgery. She was in surgery for 3 hours last night. She is better this morning an she is eating a soft mix. She has a cast on her upper beak held in place with stiches. Anyway, she will be released to come home this afternoon. I'll have to keep her in the house or shop in a dog kennel for a few weeks until she heals. Don't even ask on how much the bill will be. I just feel real bad that I hurt her. She is a friendly sweet hen. And yes the vet regularly does surgery on chickens and ducks. He is certified as a bird vet. If you need a chicken vet, go to Oklahoma State in Stillwater. Side note, in one of the vet med mags on the table they talked about back yard chickens vet visits are up 40% each year. They are now not just "livestock but are now pets and companion animals." Vets need to treat them as such.

Also the vet said that there is a lot of bad infor on the internet on how to treat your own birds yourself. If in doubt, call a vet that knows chickens. And my hen is a black Austolope.

Back
Top Bottom