Educate me on bantams, please!

Puddle Foot Farm

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Maryland
Hi guys, I'm preparing for the spring already and getting ready my lists. My mom has agreed that we could get a little flock of bantams to go with our standards [who are being raised with two silkies right now, and will be all pullets]. So, I need advice.
In your experience, what is the calmest bantam breed you have, except for silkies? Are there any that I should especially stay away from?
You can have more than one roo in one pen with bantams, right?
Does anyone have any suggestions on who to buy eggs/chicks from? I'm interested in high-quality, super-fluffy silkies of various colors [partridge, red, splash, black, cuckoo], and some okay-quality d'Uccles/d'Anvers/sebrights/whatever else is interesting and rather mellow.
Also, any advice about whatever bantam is welcome! I'm not expecting any problems with my standards, they're only a month old right now and they're okay with my two little silkies.
big_smile.png

~Chelsea

In our experience, cochins were just as calm as silkies, if not more so because they can actually see!
gig.gif

I don't have a lot of experience with other breeds. Smaller ones such as Sebrights, Old English Game Bantams, etc. seem to be more skittish and Sebright roos in general (at least the ones I've dealt with) have a tendency to try to show that size means nothing!
roll.png
I know the ones my aunt had pecked her and charged her constantly. They were little ankle biters! hehe

Yes, if you have enough hens, you can have more than one roo.

I LOVE the bantam flock (mixed w/purebreds & x's) I inherited from an elderly couple! Just wear gloves and grab their head with one hand while lifting the body with the other hand when you check for eggs. I have to do this daily in the nesting boxes to take their eggs away and they growl and will peck to ferociously defend their eggs.

The younger Mille Fluer D'Uccle's I inherited from the school hatch this Spring are so friendly and beautiful, one girl likes to sit on children's shoulder like a parrot!

For a round meaty bird who hasn't started laying yet due to her young age, I will, in time, switch over to this type (breed??? Was supposed to be a BLRW banty):
Picture033.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! But, I'm still looking for more.
Anyone know about the more than one roo situation? They'll have a pretty big run, but are unable to be free-ranged because we live basically on a highway with people going 60+. It'll be hard to get rid of the roos if we have to, so I'm hoping it'll be okay..

Edit: I just wanted to re-iterate that the roosters will definately have seven standard hens to mess with.. Probably another silkie hen too. Will that help the situation?
hmm.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Bantam roosters will get along as long as they have room to get away from each other. I have Wyandotte and light brahma bantams, I prefer the attitude of the wyandottes the best. I've had cochins and OEG in past that were fun as well. cochins too broody for me and OEG while friendly, they have no problem being escape artists. Polish bantams would have problems w/non polish as they can't see to get away from bullying.

As far as more than one roo---if u have the room and the hens--for them not to fight over-you will be ok--especially if they were raised together--but-I suggest only one roo!
As one roo will be great for up to 12 -14 hens... that way-they do not have to compete and cause trouble!!

Remember-that Silkies do not see well-and do best when they are paired with a calm breed...

I suggest the Bantam cochins for a nice breed to go with your silkies--
WE have the two breeds together and they get along well--and are very sweet with our kids!

We had d'uncles this summer--and they can be flighty...we had one nice one though...however our best dealings with bantams have been with the bantam cochins and silkies...

Good Luck with your upcoming bantam flock!

Last edited:
Japanese Bantams are perfect for a pen. They are calm, gentle animals and can be very broody when hatching their babies out.We have had them for many years and the roosters are hysterical to watch when they are chasing the hens or the standard size hens who are twice their size!!

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I'll have to look at bantam cochins, but I also want some more "exclusive" bantam breeds. We have two buff cochin pullets and my mom doesn't like their feet.
hmm.png

Any more suggestions on breeds, and how to handle the roo issue?

I love my Bantam Araucanas (true Araucanas not Easter Eggers). They are very sweet, active but not flighty, good brooders (even though I have not allowed Violet to hatch any out, she has tried), good layers. I say bantam Araucanas, they are hard to find but worth the hunt. Check out Bobbi Porto's site. I have some of her stock and they are awesome.

Edited to add: I forgot the best part, they lay beautiful blue eggs!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom