EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Yeah! That's for both the hogs and the ducks!
even better!

Quick question, I just made a incubator but I bought a led light bulb. Led was the only kind they had in the store below 60w. Will it put off enough heat?
nope, it wont create much heat at all

you need an incandescent bulb 40-60w that is not a tough/teflon coated bulb
teflon will produce toxins and kill embryos

Quote:

I'm sorry that I haven't been online often lately.
If we are working with a small gene pool we'll get more genetic defects.
I was curious about your egg turning. Are you using an automatic turner? Brand? Turning by hand?
Frequent early turning can dramatically increaseinadequate turning.
https://www.pasreform.com/academy/f...tion/1279-the-biology-behind-egg-turning.html

Don't be so harsh on the USPS.

Likely just the wind.
The windows were really rattling overnight.

Quote:
Have you been told the Sulmtalers are late hatchers or is that from experience.

IMHO, all chickens should hatch at 21 days. Late hatching would indicate low temps throughout.

In this case, my post office is to blame. In any case, they are the final straw for eggs and chicks.
It was the wind. It's scary during the day too! It sounds like someone is trying to beat the door down!

even better!

I knew about teflon. Birds are very sensitive to it. I don't see anything about teflon on the box of the bulb I got. Right now my incubator is reading 82F after 1hr of the lid being closed.

even better!

Yeah. We had a small feed bill this month :lol: I think next month it should be about twice as much since we'll have run out of real hog feed by then, (probably) so this month I need to sell twice as many ducklings. :old

Last edited:
That's where I went. They didn't have any 40w other than led
i dont think it will put out enough heat for what you are doing they are made to be brighter, and use less energy therefore less heat

incandescent bulbs are not as bright because much of their energy is lost because of the amount of heat they generate

Back
Top Bottom