EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

There are lots of claims but most are anti-science. It is hard to find a university published paper on it... The one I found a few years back said the only thing it might do is make the gut a little more hostile to parasites.

You drastically alter the nutritional values by fermenting. The sugars and starches become alcohol/more sugar. You change the fiber content. It makes more sense to stay with a feed you know the nutritional value of.

Fermented feeds came along with the ethanol industry, The refineries, had all this spent corn/grain and no way to get rid of it so they started pushing what a great feed it was. It is something but not the greatest feed.

Before you know it some pseudo farmers and ex-hippies decided it was the way to feed and it caught on, to the point the large energy companies could now sell the byproduct they could hardly give away in the past..

It is great marketing by the corporate giants!!

Of course, the DIY people came along and decided they could wet there feed and let it set for a few days and it would be the same as the stuff the refineries were selling....Now we have people nuts over a worthless feed that has altered nutrition and not for the better. Anytime there is heat (like in fermentation) something is burned up and nothing is added or gained...

Now, I will be back in a bit, I need to go get a electrocardiogram.
Not sure how the ethanol industry does their spent grain but with making beer the sugars are extracted from the grain before fermentation for the beer. That extract is super sweet and it's what the yeast is added to. Different grains different flavors of beer. Leaving more protein and less sugar in the spent grain. Win win for me.
What I pick up at the brewery and feed to my chickens is non alcoholic spent grain and never turns into alcohol. I keep it compressed under water in 5 gallon buckets. It will occasionally go moldy at that point I put it into the compost pile. Maybe that's where the Morels came from. :lau
The deer will eat the moldy spent grain out of the compost pile. Haven't seen a drunk one yet.

Just wondered what the theory was behind it. . I just know living next to a grain elevator when their feed gets wet it STINKS up the whole neighborhood.. So wet feed doesn't sound to me like a good thing. :sick
It does have a rather potent smell. I can't do it in the house or it makes the whole thing smell fermented.

Whenever I pick up the spent grain it doesn't stink actually smells pretty darn good. Perhaps when the grain gets wet at the elevator it's getting air allowing rot. I've made some pretty delicious breads out of the spent grain. All the grain at the brewery is kept in pretty sterile conditions as much as grain can be, inside large stainless steel tanks.

Not sure how the ethanol industry does their spent grain but with making beer the sugars are extracted from the grain before fermentation for the beer. That extract is super sweet and it's what the yeast is added to. Different grains different flavors of beer. Leaving more protein and less sugar in the spent grain. Win win for me.
What I pick up at the brewery and feed to my chickens is non alcoholic spent grain and never turns into alcohol. I keep it compressed under water in 5 gallon buckets. It will occasionally go moldy at that point I put it into the compost pile. Maybe that's where the Morels came from. :lau
The deer will eat the moldy spent grain out of the compost pile. Haven't seen a drunk one yet.

Fun fact: the yeast sludge left over from brewing actually is highly nutrient dense. Aussies would know it as Marmite/Vegemite. When prepared properly It's not bad, but most Aussies like to screw with people and slather it on toast to see the disgusted reactions.

Last edited:
I always wondered what vegemite was.

Officially, Vegemite is "brewer's yeast extract, with various vegetable and spice additives." Again, if prepared properly, it's not bad. I had it spread over butter on toast and I know a lot of vegans who use it to add a meaty/salty flavor to soups and certain dishes. The flavor reminds me of Vietnamese fish sauce: salty, but with a slight malt-flavor you don't get in fish sauce. Both are natural sources of glutamate, but Vegemite also is an excellent source of B vitamins (B1, B2, B3 & B9) and is often fortified with iron, B6, and B12. It's also high in potassium.

Back
Top Bottom