EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Hallucinated.
full

That's my new favorite emoji. :lau

This is the exact photo where the steaks came from.
The larger Gilt. The smaller Gilt went to my Father for a barter for an E Z Go Golf Cart.
View attachment 1147286
Photo taken the day they were loaded into the trailer.
Ours weighed in @ 300#. His 280 something.
Was aiming for 250# but got side tracked. Got them to process just in time. After 300# they put on mostly fat because they are peaked in growth cycle. Sorta like a male human that reaches the age of 18. He is done growing and starts aging. You have to process while they are in their prime to avoid fatty meat.
Almost no grease drips or seeps from our sausage.
Took awhile for us to learn this. Years ago we would just throw bread and table scrap garbage, treats or what ever we had to get them big fast. Our yields were fatty, lard grizzle meat. Now a days, nuttin but high quality grains, greens and clean water.
You are what you eat, and the difference is night and day.
They look good. Just nice and as you say...the right time. :drool :thumbsup

My lambs still have a corrugated feel on the ribs when I take them in. Any more than that and it's too fat. I've went to look at them hanging a few times to hone it down to perfection.:drool

You should have grabbed the nearest hard object and pounded it into a mush.
But then you'd have to clean the carpet. :hmm
Do you mean wild pig??:caf
Ours are Heritage Breeds.
Wild Hogs taste like road kill by comparison.
We have researched Swine prior to jumping into breeding.
These are our particular breeds we raise.
  • Berkshire. Known for it's color, rich flavor and marbling. (Slow growers) Considered a delicacy in Japan.
  • Gloucestershire (Old Spot). Known for it's jowl/Bacon belly yield. (Fast Growers) "Huge Hams and broad shoulders. Crowd pleasing Hams for Easter Dinners". When crossed with Berkshire, you will arm wrestle your mother for the last slice.
  • Hampshire. Medium size but fast growing. Excellent Mothering skills and jumbo litters.
  • Duroc. Super fast growers. Not much bacon unless crossed with Berkshire. Faster returns on less feed. Primarily we raise to sell the offset our operation costs.
Our Christmas gifts we give are delivered in a cooler. We have 3 Gilts growing like weeds that will replace our stock during the Holidays. That and homemade Christmas cards keeps the family and short friends list peeps taste the reason we were foolish enough to jump into this little venture.
Chickens always taste like chicken, but pork and beef you can tweak the Flavor..
View attachment 1147418 View attachment 1147417 View attachment 1147419 View attachment 1147416 View attachment 1147415 View attachment 1147414 View attachment 1147413 View attachment 1147412 View attachment 1147411 View attachment 1147410
Hampshire. Medium size but fast growing. Excellent Mothering skills and jumbo litters.
I see that as read they are mean and nasty...and especially nasty and mean....lol. Grandpa had hamps. They don't like you in the pen with their babies very much...lol. :lau

Back
Top Bottom