EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Haha yes! Great memory! Thank you. Y’all seem like a cool bunch of people ;) I’m really excited to hatch with you!
We're the coolest. Except for Ralphie. :p
All of my eggs are brown and blue. Do you think I still could see veins? If so, I’m definitely going to candle :D
Possibly. I've seen them in brown eggs at day 3--4. Just don't toss any or be sad if you don't see anything.

We're the coolest. Except for Ralphie. :p

Possibly. I've seen them in brown eggs at day 3--4. Just don't toss any or be sad if you don't see anything.
Haha!!
I won’t even think about tossing them until day 10. I will probably do a quick candle tonight when it is dark outside because the room they are in is pretty bright during the day, which could make it hard to candle. I am really excited! I hope I will be able to see something.

The 1"-2" we got, or 2"-4", depending on which forecast you listened to, petered out at about 1.5", maybe. Schools closed, anyway. I guess the school boards around here never heard of studded snow tires for ice, or maybe aren't allowed to use them.
The weather hits us a day or 2 before you. We got 4" on Sun & another 1" on Mon. Kids were already off school for MLK & although there were some flurries, they went to school on Tues.

I can sometimes understand if a bad storm hits during rush hour, but the last few years we've missed a few days because the daytime high was -5'F. Sure it feels a lot colder with the windchill, but school is held INSIDE. Simply don't send them out for recess. The school district explained that they were afraid of buses breaking down & kids freezing while waiting at the bus stops. I guess the kids on our street are smarter. If they're cold, they just pop inside the entryway of the corner neighbor. She's not going to keep her kid inside while his schoolmates stand out front shivering.

One of my fav childhood, school memories was when we got stuck at school during a record blizzard. (late 1970s) They technically closed the school early, but buses couldn't get through the 4' of snow and it kept coming down. Families who lived within walking distance came to pick up their kids, but I got to stay! Around 4:30pm the teachers fed us some pizza. I was a little sad around 5pm when my dad's Suburban arrived. We hoping to have a "sleep-over." He piled up as many neighborhood kids as he could fit and drove everyone home.

Haha!!
I won’t even think about tossing them until day 10. I will probably do a quick candle tonight when it is dark outside because the room they are in is pretty bright during the day, which could make it hard to candle. I am really excited! I hope I will be able to see something.
Great!

You'll probably have a few people (including the aforementioned Ralphie) fuss at you for candling this early... I say whatever... just don't drop them. Light isn't toxic to them, and broodies would get off their nests every day anyway.

The weather hits us a day or 2 before you. We got 4" on Sun & another 1" on Mon. Kids were already off school for MLK & although there were some flurries, they went to school on Tues.

I can sometimes understand if a bad storm hits during rush hour, but the last few years we've missed a few days because the daytime high was -5'F. Sure it feels a lot colder with the windchill, but school is held INSIDE. Simply don't send them out for recess. The school district explained that they were afraid of buses breaking down & kids freezing while waiting at the bus stops. I guess the kids on our street are smarter. If they're cold, they just pop inside the entryway of the corner neighbor. She's not going to keep her kid inside while his schoolmates stand out front shivering.

One of my fav childhood, school memories was when we got stuck at school during a record blizzard. (late 1970s) They technically closed the school early, but buses couldn't get through the 4' of snow and it kept coming down. Families who lived within walking distance came to pick up their kids, but I got to stay! Around 4:30pm the teachers fed us some pizza. I was a little sad around 5pm when my dad's Suburban arrived. We hoping to have a "sleep-over." He piled up as many neighborhood kids as he could fit and drove everyone home.
That’s awesome!! The kids here got off today. We got about 5” last night, but the real problem is that the salt isn’t working because it is so cold. The roads are coated with ice and it is really dangerous to be walking on it, let alone driving. :hmm
I can just imagine how crazy it would be with a school full of kids overnight! That’s a nightmare waiting to happen lol. But I’m sure it would be fun for the kids :gig

We only cancel school for air quality (due to fire season). We hit 116 last summer, and they just kept the kids inside (she goes to summer school).

The snow makes everything so beautiful! I absolutely love snow and winter :love
FAD3E3DE-B802-47CD-945B-CDAADFF22E38.jpeg

This was the coop this morning :)

Back
Top Bottom