EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Yeah, I was thinking about how jealous I was that he was getting any shipped eggs to hatch. The only shipped eggs I’ve gotten to hatch were the quail eggs. They still arrived cracked, but quail eggs do better in the mail.
I've never incubated shipped eggs but I've shipped a lot of eggs. Maybe as many as 30 shipments. As far as I know, everyone had some hatch. Some had good hatch rates. I should have called all of them to try and get a percentage.
One that was a bit of a problem were eggs sent to Puerto Rico. Some of the few that hatched were deformed. All we can figure is that the eggs were x-rayed by the postal service because they went to a territory.

I’ve usually had ok luck with shipped eggs. From near 100% to 0%. At least 10 shipments. Closest one was the worst. I’m not doing shipped eggs now as the mail system is not as reliable.
I had two batches shipped from two hours away. :rant Nothing made it. The first batch was scrambled and frozen. The second just scrambled.
I've never incubated shipped eggs but I've shipped a lot of eggs. Maybe as many as 30 shipments. As far as I know, everyone had some hatch. Some had good hatch rates. I should have called all of them to try and get a percentage.
One that was a bit of a problem were eggs sent to Puerto Rico. Some of the few that hatched were deformed. All we can figure is that the eggs were x-rayed by the postal service because they went to a territory.

I would like to never do shipped eggs again but I do have a breed I would like and no one close to me has them. :(
Can you buy chicks of your desired breed? Odds of survival are probably better.
I stopped shipping eggs when they started slowing the mail service. Hopefully it will get back on schedule by the first of the year.
I'd hate to be out of the egg and chick business because they want to delay mail service.

Last edited:
Can you buy chicks of your desired breed? Odds of survival are probably better.
I stopped shipping eggs when they started slowing the mail service. Hopefully it will get back on schedule by the first of the year.
I'd hate to be out of the egg and chick business because they want to delay mail service.
There isn't any slowing of the mail service that I've noticed. I'm a substitute mail carrier and I've heard of a few things getting delayed but not a general slow down. My eggs got to me a day earlier than promised and the ones I sent to California did as well.
I contacted one place that may have chicks for sale but most that have them won't ship. The Iowa blue are pretty rare it seems.

Back
Top Bottom