EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

I know most of you don't ship eggs or chicks but I do for a good part of the year. I am very concerned about the postal service right now. Between covid knocking out a sizable segment of the USPS workforce and mgt. efforts to slow service, I've never experienced such lack of speed in my life. Perhaps it was like this in 1918.
I had 3 packages a week before Christmas that sat in a USPS distribution center in California for two weeks before slowly making their way here. 3 weeks for 3 packages (express mail) a few ounces each and slightly larger than a deck of cards. I chalked that up to the Christmas rush.
In anticipation of butchering this week, I ordered heat shrink poultry bags two weeks ago. They shipped on the 9th from New York. By the 13th, they made it to Indianapolis. They sat there 4 days before moving on. They are still in the Twilight Zone with no indication when they'll make it the next 240 miles. 12 days hence and they're still sitting somewhere other than here.
I last shipped chicks on November 1st by express mail to California. It took them 3 days and luckily all survived the trip. I've delayed promoting chicks or eggs hoping that mail service will get back on track.
I'd hate to ship eggs at this rate much less chicks.

Am I starting to sound like a crybaby? :oops:

I know most of you don't ship eggs or chicks but I do for a good part of the year. I am very concerned about the postal service right now. Between covid knocking out a sizable segment of the USPS workforce and mgt. efforts to slow service, I've never experienced such lack of speed in my life. Perhaps it was like this in 1918.
I had 3 packages a week before Christmas that sat in a USPS distribution center in California for two weeks before slowly making their way here. 3 weeks for 3 packages (express mail) a few ounces each and slightly larger than a deck of cards. I chalked that up to the Christmas rush.
In anticipation of butchering this week, I ordered heat shrink poultry bags two weeks ago. They shipped on the 9th from New York. By the 13th, they made it to Indianapolis. They sat there 4 days before moving on. They are still in the Twilight Zone with no indication when they'll make it the next 240 miles. 12 days hence and they're still sitting somewhere other than here.
I last shipped chicks on November 1st by express mail to California. It took them 3 days and luckily all survived the trip. I've delayed promoting chicks or eggs hoping that mail service will get back on track.
I'd hate to ship eggs at this rate much less chicks.

Am I starting to sound like a crybaby? :oops:
Some sellers on eBay are reporting success with FedX. I know when we had seahorses shipped overnight FedX did great.

I'm sure FedEx would be better but I didn't know they started shipping chicks yet.
ETA
Their website says they don't accept live animal shipments as part of their regularly scheduled service.
From their website - " FedEx's policy currently permits it to refuse shipments of baby chickens. "
UPS doesn't ship live birds either.
Shipping Live Animals | UPS - United States

Last edited:
I've been getting mail just fine. Getting it pretty quick..except...one package..got after Christmas. One of my maine gifts. I got it though. I hope the mail isn't slow .. I have eggs on the way starting Monday..ship day. 😐
I hope so too. I have a request for eggs but I'm afraid to ship.
The box of poultry bags that shipped from New York on January 9 still have not arrived - 15 days later!!! :barnie
I definitely won't be shipping chicks till I see consistent improvement.

More than 2 week in transit would be sad enough but more alarming is that they were shipped Priority Mail.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom