EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Should i pick off a small piece at the top of the air sack or??
If you are going to assist, make a small hole in the air cell end of the egg, and go very very slowly from there. Have warm water and a damp paper towel on hand to keep the membrane moist. If you see lots of blood vessels or yolk in/under the membrane, wet it down, cover is loosely with wet towel and put it back in the incubator to wait some more

Hello all! I have a question and I'm hoping this is the right thread for it. I have a year old Brahma hen that may be going broody. I've had chickens for two years now and never had one go broody before, so I'm not completely sure she is. Last night, instead of roosting, she sat in the nesting box with three eggs tucked under her (not all hers). When my SO pulled two eggs out and sat them in front of her, she immediately tucked them back in, then started picking at her feathers on her underside. Probably too early to tell, but I've never had a chicken act like that before. I've had a couple ducks go broody and hatch eggs, but I don't know how differently their behavior is from a broody hen.

Which brings me to my question. Has anyone had any luck with slipping shipped hatching eggs under a broody hen? I don't have any roosters, so their eggs aren't fertile. If she does go broody, I'd like to give her some fertilized eggs to hatch. I've looked around and nobody nearby has fertilized eggs for sale. The closest hatchery, Meyer, is about and hour and a half away (I'm in NW Ohio). If I ordered eggs from them, I could go pick them up rather than have them shipped. I'm guessing that would be a better option than shipping eggs for a broody hen?

I'm probably jumping the gun, but I'm just curious :)

Hello all! I have a question and I'm hoping this is the right thread for it. I have a year old Brahma hen that may be going broody. I've had chickens for two years now and never had one go broody before, so I'm not completely sure she is. Last night, instead of roosting, she sat in the nesting box with three eggs tucked under her (not all hers). When my SO pulled two eggs out and sat them in front of her, she immediately tucked them back in, then started picking at her feathers on her underside. Probably too early to tell, but I've never had a chicken act like that before. I've had a couple ducks go broody and hatch eggs, but I don't know how differently their behavior is from a broody hen.

Which brings me to my question. Has anyone had any luck with slipping shipped hatching eggs under a broody hen? I don't have any roosters, so their eggs aren't fertile. If she does go broody, I'd like to give her some fertilized eggs to hatch. I've looked around and nobody nearby has fertilized eggs for sale. The closest hatchery, Meyer, is about and hour and a half away (I'm in NW Ohio). If I ordered eggs from them, I could go pick them up rather than have them shipped. I'm guessing that would be a better option than shipping eggs for a broody hen?

Yup! Broody. Meyer is a great hatchery. It’s great that you live so close.

Yes, lots of people have slipped shipped eggs under a broody.

She sounds broody enough to me. You can either let her sit on infertile eggs and then buy some chicks and slide them underneath her when the chicks would normally be due or you could go get the Hatchery eggs she would probably do just fine with them.

Back
Top Bottom