EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Hi friends. I was active on here for awhile and then I disappeared. I get Seasonal Affective Disorder really bad, and between the loss of interest in my normal activities caused by the depression, and the forcing myself to be physically active and spend time outdoors to beat the SAD, I tend to go ghost Dec-Jan. I always tell myself, "This year I won't lose touch!" But so far I am batting zero. Then the light hours increase, and like magic I am cured.

I have lots of reading to catch up on, and I've got bator fever terrible, especially since I had my first predator loss that took my three favorite pullets last week. I now only have 5 hens between 2 roosters, and while they are still young and have 3 acres to roam, I know we will need more girls before long! I was planning on the second week of March, but I want to incubate from both a local source and a shipped source, AND I want my chicks to all be the same age, so I might have to put it off until April (*cringe*) because I worry about eggs freezing during shipment.
I am so sorry, I understand the SAD thing. its so hard this time of year to "Just get over it" and try to function. I cling to this community and my poultry to keep me going, ok maybe my kids prodding me might help?
I am glad you came back!
Some day I might learn a small measure of restraint?? ok probably not! so we hatched turkeys and Necked necks this past weekend... oh and the turkey hen managed to hatch 3 maybe 4?

bloody computer... what happened to the function where you could insert the last pics you had uploaded??? oh well its gone. I will have to come back on my phone and upload pics....

ahem anyway
so this morning during feeding my DD noticed that sweetheart(the nice broody turkey) was hanging out by the door of the house with her babies, I decided to go investigate> none to soon, she was circling and crying for the lost babies...2 of the little darlings had managed to get separated from mamma and siblings and were trying to curl up in a pile of feathers where mamma couldn't get to them so they were cold and crying. I managed to scoop them up and stuff them inside my shirt till we finished chores and then plopped them in the incubator that is set up to alow babies to fluff up before going in the brooder.. got them to take a drop of nutri-drench and they got their feet under them so they got moved to the brooder with the new babies from this weekend... they apeared to be running around looking for feed when I left for work but they may pass who knows... I guess I will find out when I get home in ... 6.5 hours or so. sigh what a morning.

20200126_190232.jpg
ok so this is only 4.

I am so sorry, I understand the SAD thing. its so hard this time of year to "Just get over it" and try to function. I cling to this community and my poultry to keep me going, ok maybe my kids prodding me might help?
I am glad you came back!
Some day I might learn a small measure of restraint?? ok probably not! so we hatched turkeys and Necked necks this past weekend... oh and the turkey hen managed to hatch 3 maybe 4?

bloody computer... what happened to the function where you could insert the last pics you had uploaded??? oh well its gone. I will have to come back on my phone and upload pics....

ahem anyway
so this morning during feeding my DD noticed that sweetheart(the nice broody turkey) was hanging out by the door of the house with her babies, I decided to go investigate> none to soon, she was circling and crying for the lost babies...2 of the little darlings had managed to get separated from mamma and siblings and were trying to curl up in a pile of feathers where mamma couldn't get to them so they were cold and crying. I managed to scoop them up and stuff them inside my shirt till we finished chores and then plopped them in the incubator that is set up to alow babies to fluff up before going in the brooder.. got them to take a drop of nutri-drench and they got their feet under them so they got moved to the brooder with the new babies from this weekend... they apeared to be running around looking for feed when I left for work but they may pass who knows... I guess I will find out when I get home in ... 6.5 hours or so. sigh what a morning.
:fl

Hello everyone, Sweets how did the bator work out, just had husband take my hatching stuff all out in the shed for the meecy mice to eat :(
Whites, wife says your doing ok, I am glad to see you have been posting again <3

Can yall believe Kid just turned 15 !!! O M G 15 years old!! and let me tell you, girls are so much more of a pain in the arctic to raise than boys! I sure hope this girl has a few girls of her own when she is say 50? he he he
81564600_2710245025734297_8520488716035162112_o.jpg

Hello everyone, Sweets how did the bator work out, just had husband take my hatching stuff all out in the shed for the meecy mice to eat :(
Whites, wife says your doing ok, I am glad to see you have been posting again <3

Can yall believe Kid just turned 15 !!! O M G 15 years old!! and let me tell you, girls are so much more of a pain in the arctic to raise than boys! I sure hope this girl has a few girls of her own when she is say 50? he he he
View attachment 2013202
Time flies, doesn't it? I just finished the 'bator yesterday. I need more thermometers, but preliminary testing shows stable temperatures from the top rack to the bottom. (Ignore the disparity in the readings; the thermometer had just been placed back into the incubator.) I'm setting eggs next week.
20200127_165255.jpg 20200127_165306.jpg

Last edited:
Time flies, doesn't it? I just finished the 'bator yesterday. I need more thermometers, but preliminary testing shows stable temperatures from the top rack to the bottom. (Ignore the disparity in the readings; the thermometer had just been placed back into the incubator.) I'm setting eggs next week.
View attachment 2013204View attachment 2013205
awesome sweets!! what gave you the most issues then?

View attachment 2013202
Again? Seldom anyone to talk to on this thread anymore.

Back
Top Bottom