EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

I once ordered something similar. It was an October assortment of 53 chicks from Sandhill Preservation and I got 17 different breeds/varieties. I'm glad I did it. I discovered some great breeds and some I would never own again.
Oooo, out of curiosity, which are the breeds you would never own again?

Oooo, out of curiosity, which are the breeds you would never own again?
Probably Polish (and by extension - silkies, houdans and anything else with impaired vision). I free range all my birds and they have to be alert, aloof and avoid predators.
I probably wouldn't have Plymouth Rocks. I know barred are popular and I did have a few hens but White and Partridge Rocks are the only roosters that ever attacked me.
I might be unfairly prejudiced against Buttercups. They may be a nice breed but all the ones I got from Sand Hill had leg problems so I never got a chance to bring them to maturity.
The ones I really liked that stood out to me were Jaerhons, White Minorcas, Black Leghorns, White and Blue Jersey Giants. I loved the Welsummer (super dark eggs) but that was the only bird to die from heat here. There were other breeds that didn't stand out to me but that may just mean they didn't annoy me.
I see you are in Montana. If you don't mind white eggs, I highly recommend the Jaerhon. They mature very early, lay well and are extremely cold hardy and handle our heat as well.

Fortunately they are quail. Two weeks, one or two days to go. :woot
Being without internet now would totally suck.
Have you tried rebooting your modem and router?
I usually have to do that after every storm.

I put 28 eggs in the incubator a couple hours ago. (chicken) Some are a bit old due to my procrastination.

--------------------

Is BYC being really slow for anyone else this afternoon?

Back
Top Bottom