EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

The livestock dogs. Whenever the goats are in the neighborhood their dogs carry on all day and night. I’m assuming it’s the big woolly white one.
well, so far my Maremmas is pretty quiet, the Anatolian I'm going to wait and see what she's like when she doesn't have a litter. but I definitely don't want things that bark too much.

Was just wondering if anyone talks... hatching in this site any more. I'm hatching! 🐣. I haven't hatched in the winter in a while. Will see how this goes! Put my first ...ahem...mailed eggs in tonight. Two more coming next week. I want some new layers to start earlier this year instead of waiting for fall.
Not very often, but I'm not hatching this time of year. personally I'm busy with kidding which should start likely today, and new LGD one with a litter. technically they're not due till Saturday but I think Dragonfly is going to go sooner.

I do hope to start hatching this spring with my new black copper marans. I got some from a friend who's selling eggs all over the country she's got really really dark eggs and a great hatch rate.

There was an inte
Our huge country and population, plus every state being on their own exacerbated the issue but we really dropped the ball. There just wasn't the will from the top to control it. Add all the lies to that and we were doomed.
Our hospitals and medical staffs have been left in the lurch. I still can't get over the images of nurses in covid wards wearing trash bags for PPE.

On another subject, has anyone here ever caponized?
I just bought a caponizing kit and it is a spring project I'm planning. I have a lot of cockerels to butcher so I'm going to practice on them after I slaughter. When I feel I have it down, I'll start doing the chicks when I identify those that won't be held for breeding.
@Akrnaf2, in reading about the history of capons, I found a reference to a 1598 book on chickens with a chapter on capons. It interpreted the Hebrew word barbur as capon.
There was an ineresting thread on here years ago on caponing. Even a you tube video of third world country that had man on the street doing it in short order. He just put his foot on the bird and went at it.

There was an inte

There was an ineresting thread on here years ago on caponing. Even a you tube video of third world country that had man on the street doing it in short order. He just put his foot on the bird and went at it.
@Akrnaf2 posted a video above of a guy that was pretty fast. It was amazing.
I'll let y'all know when I'm that fast. :lol:
@Pensmaster also posted a link to a BYC capon thread.

Not very often, but I'm not hatching this time of year. personally I'm busy with kidding which should start likely today, and new LGD one with a litter. technically they're not due till Saturday but I think Dragonfly is going to go sooner.
Ooo, looking forward to photos! 💞.

Back
Top Bottom