EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

X2
Peafowl chicks up to 6 weeks should have as close to 30% protein as possible. Gamebird and turkey starter products should fit that bill. After that, peafowl do well on about 20% protein. It is important to always read the guaranteed analysis tag on a bag of feed. Especially for protein and calcium content. I've seen the protein content change occasionally for different brands and lines of feed.
Since your birds are out foraging in the summer, they should have opportunities to get a fair amount of animal protein. That's especially important for the chick but peas of all ages seek it out as well as taking seeds, plant and flower parts and berries. But the more complete blend of essential amino acids in animal protein sources is very important.

Last edited:
“This is Judy I wanted to let you guys know when I didn’t know how to do that so I’m glad you text me and Ken has brain cancer and it’s not expected to live may be another month anytime I guess so I am really dealing with a lot of stuff and could use a lot of prayers.
“he has no pain so far so we praise the Lord for that his legs are giving out on him so it makes it hard for me to help him but that’s what I do of course Hospices called in and they are here but they’re not here but they’re here so just pray that the Lord gives me the strength to get through this.”

since bullchick just messaged me (thanks for reaching out). I will join the many who have been gone a while and post.
So what is new everyone? Share something please. @Akrnaf2 Any new knives?
As far as chickens go I have essentially lost my heritage Rhode Island Reds. it's just a matter of time since I lost the two roosters to predators, and the hens are going to be dying of old age soon.
I have some new black copper marans and they are doing well. including a broody that managed to hatch I kid you not :eek: 15 chicks and 14 of them are still with me.
I am conditioning for my next backpacking trip, and my first generation does are beginning to do well. I have some 2-year-olds that are first fresheners my first milkers that did well, and then I have a first generation kid who took Reserve Champion at a show and one of only a couple second generation kids who took Grand Champion.Junior which for those who don't know means the kids under two that haven't milked yet.
Eden won the reserve ribbon and I had a young man hold Rosalynn who at just two months old won her championship ribbon which means she has her dry leg.
View attachment 2769471View attachment 2769473
Congrats on your wins!

“This is Judy I wanted to let you guys know when I didn’t know how to do that so I’m glad you text me and Ken has brain cancer and it’s not expected to live may be another month anytime I guess so I am really dealing with a lot of stuff and could use a lot of prayers.
“he has no pain so far so we praise the Lord for that his legs are giving out on him so it makes it hard for me to help him but that’s what I do of course Hospices called in and they are here but they’re not here but they’re here so just pray that the Lord gives me the strength to get through this.”
I’m so very sorry and yes I’m sending prayers. 💕

I’ve been gone for awhile because we moved from AZ to my home state of Iowa and I’m loving all the green and rain plus seeing my family. Unfortunately I had to rehome my chickens in AZ so I just started another small flock but this time I got a breed I’ve wanted for years. I now have five serama chicks and one tiny guy just started to crow. It’s so funny to hear.
About a month after we got to our new home in Iowa, we got hit by a tornado!! I lived in Iowa most of my life and never had a storm like this one! We live on about an acre and a half with lots of trees and we lost 7 very large oak trees plus half of a few more. Somehow they all missed our house so we’re very thankful for that. Damaged our small barn and destroyed our fenced dog yard. Two trees and half of another fell in there. I’m also thankful we didn’t have the coop up yet or the hawks mews because they would have been destroyed. So we’ve been cleaning up from that for weeks. But again, no one was hurt and our house is fine except for a few shingles. Welcome back to Iowa. Lol

I’ve been gone for awhile because we moved from AZ to my home state of Iowa and I’m loving all the green and rain plus seeing my family. Unfortunately I had to rehome my chickens in AZ so I just started another small flock but this time I got a breed I’ve wanted for years. I now have five serama chicks and one tiny guy just started to crow. It’s so funny to hear.
About a month after we got to our new home in Iowa, we got hit by a tornado!! I lived in Iowa most of my life and never had a storm like this one! We live on about an acre and a half with lots of trees and we lost 7 very large oak trees plus half of a few more. Somehow they all missed our house so we’re very thankful for that. Damaged our small barn and destroyed our fenced dog yard. Two trees and half of another fell in there. I’m also thankful we didn’t have the coop up yet or the hawks mews because they would have been destroyed. So we’ve been cleaning up from that for weeks. But again, no one was hurt and our house is fine except for a few shingles. Welcome back to Iowa. Lol
Wow, sounds like quite a roller coaster. Glad you didn’t have much damage.

Awful news. :( Thanks for letting us know.

Extremely sorry to hear that.

So sorry to hear this. You may already know, I lost my husband three months ago. It's so hard. He passed here at home. Glad I got to keep him home. Alzheimer's, thought we might be placing him, but he declined so fast, that he went into a coma then gone 5 days later. Prayers for you. I'll be thinking of you. 💗

Back
Top Bottom