EE 3 months old cant walk

cwilliams10

Chirping
Jan 27, 2023
I have a 3 month old easter egger and starting last Sunday we noticed her not moving well laying down we picked her up and we thought one of her legs was broke possibly cause we have heard them fall off roosting poles. She seems about the same for a week. Toes are curled. One leg she will move other leg nothing. She does move around on one leg the best she can but I don't want her to suffer. She was not vaccinated for mareks. She eats and drinks poop looks normal. I do think her one leg is paralyzed. What should I do for her I've been trying to give her some vitamin b in her water and scrambled eggs with Oregano. She can see just fine. I will attach picture.

Attachments

• 20230518_134821.jpg
    20230518_134821.jpg
    640.7 KB · Views: 29
I have a 3 month old easter egger and starting last Sunday we noticed her not moving well laying down we picked her up and we thought one of her legs was broke possibly cause we have heard them fall off roosting poles. She seems about the same for a week. Toes are curled. One leg she will move other leg nothing. She does move around on one leg the best she can but I don't want her to suffer. She was not vaccinated for mareks. She eats and drinks poop looks normal. I do think her one leg is paralyzed. What should I do for her I've been trying to give her some vitamin b in her water and scrambled eggs with Oregano. She can see just fine. I will attach picture.

I have not heard of that but just looked it up, I will order some and try it! I've been using super b complex in her water
Photos of the legs and joints?

I'd give her 1/4 tablet of the Super B-Complex orally instead of in water. When vitamins are in the water, it's dependent on the bird actually drinking enough to make a difference.

At her age, Marek's is a possibility, but you mention you thought the leg might have been injured as well.
Does she indicate any pain when you manipulate the leg. Do you notice any green bruising, swelling of the joint, a dent in the leg anywhere?

Photos of the legs and joints?

I'd give her 1/4 tablet of the Super B-Complex orally instead of in water. When vitamins are in the water, it's dependent on the bird actually drinking enough to make a difference.

At her age, Marek's is a possibility, but you mention you thought the leg might have been injured as well.
Does she indicate any pain when you manipulate the leg. Do you notice any green bruising, swelling of the joint, a dent in the leg anywhere?
That's true I should just give her tablet to make sure she's getting what she needs. No brusing or swelling seems like she's moving with her wings today I'm afraid it's Mareks I'll attach pics of her legs/feet the one that's curled is warm the other one feels cold

Attachments

• 20230519_113152.jpg
    20230519_113152.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230519_113141.jpg
    20230519_113141.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230519_113148.jpg
    20230519_113148.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 12
At that age, Marek's is a possibility. If you happen to lose her, having testing through your state lab would give you the most information.

I'd still push the B Complex daily, see if it helps.
Feel of the joints, compare them to another chick her age, anything feel slipped out of place.

The Marek's vaccine does not prevent infection from the virus so even vaccinated birds often present with symptoms. The vaccine may help reduce the formation of tumors.

We noticed yesterday evening another chick same age black sex link curled toes and noticed laying down a lot. Same way other one started so we decided to put them both down just hoping we don't lose our whole flock. We took the rest of the flock out, threw all Shavings away cleaned the coop Inside and there run hopefully the rest make it!! I know the EE was suffering she was getting worse. Thank you for all the info I appreciate it!!

Back
Top Bottom