EE/Aruacana cross - Lethal factor ? UPDATE : Pics of new hatches

fanov8

Songster
11 Years
May 17, 2010
East TN
Hi everyone! I posted this in the hatching thread also. I wasn't sure really where to post it since I have these eggs in the incubator now, but I figured I should post here too. If I'm wrong please let me know and I will delete this post.
smile.png

I was given 30 eggs. The mothers are all EE's and the father is Araucana. He is rumpless and only has 1 tuft. I have read that the tufted/rumpless Araucana carry a lethal gene. Could this be the case that I will have with this hatch? I was hoping that since the mothers were all EE's and not Araucana's (especially tufted) that we might have some luck. Can anyone give me any info on this? I candled the eggs last night on day 6 and had veining in the eggs that I could see through, however some eggs were too dark. I'm just worried that these little guys will get to day 18 and the lethal gene will get them. Has anyone else tried this same type of hatch? Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
Pshew
celebrate.gif
LOL, genetics are definately not my thing. I leave that to all you experts out there
bow.gif

So could I end up with some of these chicks having tufts and being rumpless? I think so... right? LOL, I'm so clueless.

The guy I got these eggs from said he wasn't sure if they would hatch or not but he gave me the eggs and said to give them a shot. If they hatch I'm going to take a few of them back to him. Will I be able to tell which chicks will have tufts or is that something that will come in when they feather out?

Thanks for the help!

I could be wrong on that. I was thinking it was two copies of the tuft gene that was the lethal combo, but now I'm not so sure.
hmm.png

The info is in the thread titled "Araucana thread anyone?" (it's probably on every 3rd page in that thread).
smile.png

The lethal gene is when you have 2 copies of tufts. Thats why you dont breed tufted to tufted. The rumpless gene doesnt have a lethal factor. Some say that without a tail, it makes for poor fertility since a cock uses his tail for balance. Your chicks will be fine! You will have a wide variety of tailed/non tailed and partial tailed chicks. They will probably have muffs from the EE's since muffs are dominent. You may even end up with a few tufts! And you should be able to see if they are tufted after the fluff out. Tufts are present at hatch.

Cool! That you guys very much! I was so worried that I would get them to day 18 and then never have them hatch. I was thinking that it was 2 sets of the tufted gene but I wasn't certain. Thanks everyone for your help! Now I can't wait to see what these little boogers look like!
love.gif

If your Araucana has one or both tufts, doesn't matter, he only has one gene. Thus, crossing him and a non-tufted bird, even another Araucana, will NOT create the lethal issue.

As said, the lethal issue is with having both genes. So even when crossing two tufted parents, only 25% chance of the offspring will die in the egg. Either way, tufted x tufted or tufted x non-tufted, you still get 50/50 tufted or non-tufted chicks, simply because all tufted birds only have one allele. Having two is a dead, unborn chick.

Joining this thred if no one minds. I got ebay eggs sold as "True Auracanas" bought 6 and seller send 16. Had 1 chick hatch and 2 die in shell fully formed. Thought that might have been from the recessive gene. Lone chick is developing tail feathers. What does that mean? Is it an EE or could it still be an Auracana. Chick is 1 week old. Sorry for butting in but whenever I see 'Auracana' in a title I get excited.

Back
Top Bottom