EE chick running in frantic circles? WTH? VIDEO! what is this behavior

Yeah I am kinda thinking it seems more psychological than physical/neurological. I did check her over for parasites, I dont see anything on her.

Although we have these REALLY strange little bugs in our grass in our yard- en masse- TON OF THEM, theyre tiny, pin head, gray/black, fat, and hop. I dont know what they are but theres TONS of them. Anyone know? Theyre not fleas, and they dont look like mites (we did have mites on the chickens early winter, but the chickens are gone now and this is a whole new batch thats inside, not outside, and those mites were tiny and brown). Anyone have any ideas?

That is bizzare! My only thoughts...our golden retriever had her first grand mal seizures when she was 3 yrs old. After investigating on the internet (What did we do 20 yrs ago?!?) I found out her odd running non-stop a couple months before her grand mal was actually a different type of seizure. She would run full blast around the yard. If something was in her way, a bush, a bike, the door, she would just slam into it. We thought she had been stung by a bee or something. I wonder if chickens have seizures? (Phenobarb has stopped our dogs seizures, she's doing great a year later:) Don't think that would be an option for a chick tho!)

lau.gif

That is so strange! I have never seen a chick do that before. I'm thinking it could be some psychological thing, but I could be wrong. Glad to hear she's getting better.

Maybe she was prepping up for the marathon. XD

This has been going on for two days now. I have this little EE chick, my favorite, and she's running around the brooder frantically in circles, really tight circles, through the group of chicks, all about, just in a panic it seems. It used to be just once in a while, but now it seems to be fairly constant. When she stops she maybe scratches her face, stretches her wings, maybe eats a bite, pecks a friend, and starts again. It literally is all the time, only a few seconds between....

I took a video of it because its so weird.

She's my favorite because she's always been so calm and unbothered by whats going on around her. Just eating while everyone else is freaking out, or sitting still and looking at me until I pick her up, while everyone else is freaking out- but maybe thats a clue to this? Now instead of being calm she's racing in circles.

I cant find anything wrong with her physically.
Here's the video
What happened to the chick? Was it eventually ok?

Back
Top Bottom