EE color related to egg color? (white=blue for instance)

wahmommy

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2010
I've noticed that it seems like the lighter colored EEs (white for example) tend to be the ones who lay blue eggs, and the darker EEs lay other colors, mostly green. I do not know if this is accurate, I am making assumptions on the posts I have happened to read. But it made me wonder- if you have an EE that lays blue eggs, what color is your hen?

I have one partridge colored EE that lays a sage green/khaki egg.

Last edited:
Although it may indeed be true for most cases of white EE's, the rest would be hard to judge because most people don't really know how to describe their EE colors to help the correlation.
wink.png
For example, if someone has a typical silver duckwing EE, they'd call it gray or black and white. . Then another comes along, calls theirs Silver Duckwing with blue, so then that gets categorized elsewhere. . .

Truthfully, I think the most reliable way to tell an EE's egg color is by her comb size and shape. The bigger or taller or floppier the comb, the bigger chance the eggs are green, due to the modification in the normally small and tight pea comb from the crossing of a brown-laying single combed bird. Or, from another green layer with a modified pea comb.

But, for people's enjoyment - I had a Golden Duckwing EE cockerel with dominant white on him, and he had the genes for purely blue. I know this because his offspring crossed with Polish laid perfectly light blue eggs. They matched very well with my Ameraucana eggs.
smile.png

I also had a BBR Easter Egger hen who laid brown eggs, however such a case should not be considered, as her comb was a single comb anyway
wink.png

thank you - I was wondering about that - it just seemed like the people with white EEs that posted egg color seemed to have blue eggs. I didn't know that the peacomb could be anything but all the same kind of peacomb- I have a second EE I'm pretty sure she just has a single peacomb, but she's almost ready to lay and her comb is still TINY. So I'll post after I see what she lays and compare comb floppiness with my other EE
smile.png

Thanks for answering!

My EE (she could be an Ameracauna, but who knows, really) has a very typical pea comb, silver-green legs and is black and yellow partridge with a green sheen to her head and neck feathers. She lays eggs that are a lovely light blue-green color.

77555_dsc_1647.jpg

I have four EEs... The white one lays an aqua egg with paler speckles, the white/black one lays an aqua, one copper/black one lays a sage/aqua egg, and the other copper/black one lays a blue egg. They all have pea combs. The white one has green legs and the rest have slate. They are hatchsisters. I like being able to tell who laid what though...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom