1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE Comb color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pollo curioso, Oct 31, 2011.

1. pollo curioso

pollo curioso Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Yes I am one of many waiting; will her eggs be blue, green, brown, etc?
    So many posts can hardly stand to wait and see what color eggs match all the tell-tale signs of a blue or green egger.
    EE'gers have such an understated comb. Do their combs go bright red like other hens just before they lay? Mine are darn-near that laying age and their combs seem to be getting flush but are still pinkish. Do EE's go bright red when they're about to lay?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yes they do. If your girls still have pink combs then they aren't ready. One of mine was 40 weeks old before she started laying. The other laid at about 24 weeks.

Good luck.

3. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    If their combs are pink, they aren't close to laying. If their red, then yeah. (They lay blue and green eggs)

4. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Yes. One of my EE's got so red in the face that she looked angry. But the other two are less red but definitely a deep pink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by