ee comb question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rgraf, Sep 8, 2011.

1. rgraf

rgraf Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Hi all, these are my first chicks and I have lots of questions! This is my 5 1/2 week old ee, Snowy. Is her comb a pea comb? Does this mean I'll get green eggs? I hope you can tell from the picture, if not I'll try to get some more pictures. Thanks.

[​IMG]

I think she is going to be beautiful!

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I agree that she will be beautiful, and I do believe that she has a pea comb, but that does not indicate egg color. With EEs, you just have to wait it out and see what she lays: blue, green, pink, brown, even a shade almost white.... that's the fun in EEs! [​IMG]

3. rgraf

rgraf Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Ok, I thought I had read somewhere that the kind of comb was an indicator of egg color, I'm just learning all this. It doesn't really matter, it's just fun having these chicks. We can have really cold winters here in Iowa, do you think my girls will wait to lay until it's warmer, or will they begin laying in winter? I have 1 buff orpington, 2 red star, 2 ee, and 2 black australorp. Their hatch date was August 1 or 2. Thanks!

4. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    I believe pea comb is supposed to give a better chance for the blue eggs, but it's not a guarantee. I have an EE girl with a perfect little pea comb that lays pinkish eggs like a machine. She looks just like all her blue and green laying sisters.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Pea comb means green OR blue.

6. rgraf

rgraf Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Thanks! I'll be thrilled no matter what color the eggs end up being.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by