ee comb question

rgraf

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Hi all, these are my first chicks and I have lots of questions! This is my 5 1/2 week old ee, Snowy. Is her comb a pea comb? Does this mean I'll get green eggs? I hope you can tell from the picture, if not I'll try to get some more pictures. Thanks.

100514_038.jpg

I think she is going to be beautiful!

I agree that she will be beautiful, and I do believe that she has a pea comb, but that does not indicate egg color. With EEs, you just have to wait it out and see what she lays: blue, green, pink, brown, even a shade almost white.... that's the fun in EEs!
lol.png

Ok, I thought I had read somewhere that the kind of comb was an indicator of egg color, I'm just learning all this. It doesn't really matter, it's just fun having these chicks. We can have really cold winters here in Iowa, do you think my girls will wait to lay until it's warmer, or will they begin laying in winter? I have 1 buff orpington, 2 red star, 2 ee, and 2 black australorp. Their hatch date was August 1 or 2. Thanks!

I believe pea comb is supposed to give a better chance for the blue eggs, but it's not a guarantee. I have an EE girl with a perfect little pea comb that lays pinkish eggs like a machine. She looks just like all her blue and green laying sisters.

Thanks! I'll be thrilled no matter what color the eggs end up being.

Back
Top Bottom