diamondsilkies

Songster
Oct 23, 2017
Southern Arizona
I have an EE hen who is just about a year old. I've had her since she was a day old chick, and this problem started up about last month.

I started noticing that her droppings were very very runny about a month and half ago. I did some research, but decided to see if it would go back to normal, as she seems very healthy otherwise. Alert, clear eyes, shiny feathers, color in her comb, etc. I got a couple eggs from her back in October, but after about three eggs she stopped laying. I chalked it up to the winter and didn't worry about it. She still hasn't picked up laying yet, even though all the other girls have.

I've also noticed her doing what I think is throwing up. She'll tilt her head back after drinking, but then look back down at the ground and it all spills out in a thick, clear liquid, almost like spit. No food or anything in it.

I have a Poultry Fountain water system. It's automatic, with several drinking nipples. Almost every time I go out there, my EE (her name is Mabel) is out there, drinking water either directly from the waterer or from little puddles that have collected on the brick below. Her neck and beard are often drenched in water as well, even when it's cold out. None of my other girls have this problem; not even my silkies.

My theory here is that she's drinking too much water. It's the only thing I can think of, but I would appreciate any other ideas. If she is drinking too much, why? And how can I make her stop? I doubt it's good for her health.

Here's a picture of her poop from about a month ago. It still looks just like this. I haven't seen if she has any normal droppings in addition to this. It's hard to tell, but this is probably about four to five inches long.
IMG_5224.JPG

And here's a photo of her from this afternoon, drenched in water (as usual). She threw up right after this.
IMG_5749.JPG

I'm stumped. Anyone else?

That was my original thought, but since it's been going on for so long I think it may be something else.

I have a divider in my coop to separate my younger chicks from my established flock, but I let them all free range together. When I open both doors for them to go out, they all run outside, except for her, who runs over to the waterer on the other side (this is one of those 5 gallon metal ones with standing water that has to be filled up). She stands there and drinks water for almost the whole free range time, periodically throwing it up again unless I move the waterer from her access.

The other day, she accidentally got out and immediately ran over to a chick water base on the ground, which had collected some rain. She stood there and drank until she was picked up and put back outside. Any of my other birds would have run for the garden or underneath the tree, but not her.

It might be worth calling a vet to ask. You don't need to have a poultry vet in the area- if you can find the number of a poultry vet, period, you can call them.

Maybe she has a growth in her throat and the feeling is making her try to wash it down.

Okay, if she does have something in her throat, how can I help her? I don't want her feeling uncomfortable all the time, but I also don't want her drinking that much water. Is there any way I can make her stop? I'm not sure I can constantly regulate her water, because I can't separate her forever, and I don't think I can put the entire flock on a regulated water system.

Can you open her mouth and look down her throat with a light? Maybe you'll spot something.
If not, let her keep drinking. The worst she'll do is run low on salts. Drinking excess water is only harmful when you rinse all your electrolytes out, and I'm not sure if that's as much of a problem for birds. There's not much else you can do.

You have received some good advice so far and yes I have had this problem before but only then the temp's go over 110 F for several weeks so I am going to ask if you are using a heat source of any type at night . Here is what I have dune in the past is put a rubber hose down the chickens thought and put a syringe on the end of the rubber hose and have the syringe full of water and really slowly put the water into her gullet. I do believe she is thirsty and there is a blockage .. now the rubber hose and syringe can be purchased at most feed stored oh one thing make sure the syringe fits on the end of the hose ..

:old

I have no heat source out in the coop. Temperatures are about 35 F at night and 60 F during the day right now. I will look in her throat tomorrow and see if there's anything there. If not, I guess I'll just let her be. Is there anything I should be doing to help her replenish the salts/electrolytes that the water is flushing out?

Back
Top Bottom