EE Egg Color Prediction?

BANTAMWYANDOTTE

Songster
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
Kentucky
I bred my one year old EE who is a cross of Wheaten Amerucana and A Brown Egg Layer...Either GLW or SS......He was hatched from a Blue Egg.....I bred him to a SLW and an American Gamefowl Standard.....I have two pullets from the Wyandotte and one (sex unknown) from the AGF.....IS there any way to predict what color eggs the pullets will lay????? What if I breed him to Red Sex Links, then what color? Thanks in Advance......

Some Pics

Buster the EE Rooster

81435_piks_017.jpg

The SLW hen

81435_piks_020.jpg

The AGF Hen

81435_amgf_duo.jpg

Any help is appreciated..... 15 Years of raising chickens and this is my first year breeding EE's

Tim in KY

I have heard that the blue egg laying trait is dominant, so if you breed a blue egg layer with a white egg layer, they will lay blue eggs, and if you breed them with a brown egg layer, they will lay an olive green. Like I've said, this is what I have heard. I have 2 EE pullets and an EE cockerel. One proposed blue layer, and the other and olive egger.
ya.gif

Quote:
Sorry..not true...If the a rooster is born from a blue egg and carries the blue egg gene then if he is mated with a blue egg gened girl-they will produce blue eggers. If they are born with straight combs- brown eggs for sure. Theres like a 3% chance it will have a colored egg gene with a straight comb if the blue egg gene is in their background. Your 3 birds will produce blue eggers...To get a true dark laying olive egger you will need a roo that carries a dark brown egg gene ( FBCM-BCM etc..) and the hens need to be pure Ameraucanas-( or flip flop that mating) that is the best cross to get the best Olive eggs. There's a hitch though-if you breed those birds back to eachother ( OE x OE) you will most likely get brown eggs. You need to flip flop each pea combed generation to maintain the olive coloration. So with yours...keep all pea combed chicks-those will be your colored egg layers-if they lay nice blue colored eggs get a dark egg breed to mate with them and you will get a type of olive egger-the olive color will not be as dark as a pure crossing but they will be pretty!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
You're going to get mostly brown eggs, maybe a few greenish ones.

blue x brown = green

green (blue/brown) x brown = 50% greenish 50% brown

Quote:
Sorry..not true...If the a rooster is born from a blue egg and carries the blue egg gene then if he is mated with a blue egg gened girl-they will produce blue eggers. If they are born with straight combs- brown eggs for sure. Theres like a 3% chance it will have a colored egg gene with a straight comb if the blue egg gene is in their background. Your 3 birds will produce blue eggers...To get a true dark laying olive egger you will need a roo that carries a dark brown egg gene ( FBCM-BCM etc..) and the hens need to be pure Ameraucanas-( or flip flop that mating) that is the best cross to get the best Olive eggs. There's a hitch though-if you breed those birds back to eachother ( OE x OE) you will most likely get brown eggs. You need to flip flop each pea combed generation to maintain the olive coloration. So with yours...keep all pea combed chicks-those will be your colored egg layers-if they lay nice blue colored eggs get a dark egg breed to mate with them and you will get a type of olive egger-the olive color will not be as dark as a pure crossing but they will be pretty!
thumbsup.gif

You gave great examples Nat!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

You gave great examples Nat!
thumbsup.gif

Shanks Muggs!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom