1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE egg laying question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kittykorat, Jan 17, 2010.

1. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    So.. I have 4 EEs born around Sept 1. No one is laying yet... I have heard that EE's take longer to lay.. and I have heard that production for hens slows down at 2-3 years..
    So, if a hen starts laying later, does that mean that they slow down later too?

2. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    I have 3 EE's hatched about a week before yours. None are laying yet, but 1 is VERY red and looks like she is close, another is starting to get red and the third is pale and looks like she still has a looonnnnggg way to go.

I got the eggs from my friends who have 3 yr old EE's (purchased from a feed store as "Ameracanas") They are still excellent layers of JUMBO eggs and with 10 hens they still get 8-9 eggs daily in the winter. Doesnt sound like these are slowing down yet.

Sending you laying vibes!! [​IMG]

3. LadyHartman

LadyHartman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    Western Michigan
    It took about 5 months for mine to start laying. They hatched in early April. Now they're going non-stop as long as we give them plenty of light and heat.

4. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:I got mine about a week before you and mine just started laying this past week--- could be soon! [​IMG]

5. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    mine didn't start until they where 163 days old

6. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Mine came from Privett, and April 1 hatch...started laying Aug 14. Sept was good, Oct we were down to 2 eggs avg per day from them, and Nov / Dec we had 0-1 egg per day from them. Jan has been better and they have picked up to 3-4 eggs per day in the last week. But they are not the huge eggs I was expecting either. Depending on how my hatching season goes, they will probably all be re-homed before next winter. My shed is not insulated and I don't provide extra light. It is fair to say that we have had a lot of wet weather this winter but the temps are pretty normal for any winter here. My first flock of chickens the previous winter layed eggs almost every day. I guess I was spoiled. Of course those hens went thru molt this winter so they are still off the mark on egg production. I'm switching out to sexlinks this spring for my egglaying flock.

7. french amebas

french amebas New Egg

Jun 15, 2008
    i have one EE and she hatched in july and she hasn't started laying yet

8. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    My Ameraucaner were hatched in July and just started to lay.
    The older EEs are 3 to 4 years old and still lay up to 5 eggs a week each. I do not provide extra lights to extend the length of the day to keep them laying more.

9. vegaschick

vegaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    I have two EE's and they are the only ones laying out of 10 hens. They both started laying this past month (one 12/24 and the other 1/9) at around 8-9 months (can't quite remember what the lady that I bought them from said) and are quite regular layers already. One lays 5-6 days in a row before taking a day off the newer layer lays two days and takes a one day break, SO FAR. They get no extra light or heat. I love them!

10. wolfman111471

wolfman111471 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Vernon, CNY
    I just got my first egg yesterday from 1 of 3 ee,s that were born on sept 11/09. It was a small blue green egg, the kids had it in the frying pan before you could say [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by