EE Egg Question

Quote:
Awesome looking girl you have there. Half barred, half spangled (technically just pencilled, but looks spangled). . . . Now that's something I have not seen before.

Just because a bird is a mixed breed does not make it an EE. Your Roxie is not an easter egger, I would call her a barnyard mix. Are her earlobes white? And she lays brown eggs? Interesting, that's a good rule of thumb. I would also say your other hen is an EE mix, something gave her that color, heftier build (don't tell her I called her hefty), and yellow legs. The EE parent gave her the pea comb and green egg genes.

Quote:
I definitely think that you are right. I didn't believe Roxie was an EE (although it's possible she has so many different birds in her mix that she could have an EE grandparent or great-grandparent! lol) but I do think that one of Sasha's parents was either a full EE or mostly EE. She is a "hefty" girl (although I like to call her "fluffy" to make her feel better about it!). Another (unfortunate!) gene she got was taking forever to lay her first egg. She hatched sometime in March and just lay her first egg a little over a week ago.

Sasha also has some odd dark speckles on her tailfeathers. This is her standing next to my red sex link, Rosie. You can see the spots on her tailfeathers:

This is the most recent photo I have of her (eyeing the new snow on the ground from the safety of the coop with our rooster). You can see how her comb has changed now too:

Back
Top Bottom