EE Genetics, egg color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gus2pp, Dec 31, 2014.

1. gus2pp

gus2pp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    I have two EE pullets, and two leghorn pullets (one exchequer, and one light brown) coming in to lay. I got what looked like a first timers white egg... But upon closer inspection it appears to be very light cream color. The outside of the shell is not the same color as the inside. Clearly the egg came from one of the EE pullets, am I right in assuming that? I've never owned EE, or Leghorns. I read somewhere recently that if an EE had slate colored legs they carry the gene for blue eggs. I'm not bothered by having a hen who lays cream colored eggs, I just like learning about the genetics. :)

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It might still be from the leghorns, a lot of the colored leghorns don't seem to lay "White" eggs, at least not those chalk white eggs you get from the commercial birds, the colored ones often seem to lay more of an off white or tinted egg... EE leg color doesn't seem to have much to do with whether or not they carry the blue egg shell gene.

3. gus2pp

Aug 20, 2014
    Good to know. Thank you!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Leg color isn't related to egg shell color at all, but the comb style can be. The genes for the pea comb and the gene for the blue shell gene are supposed to be very close on the DNA, and I've read there's something like a 97% chance they get passed along together. So, take a look at your hen's combs. A straight combed bird is more likely to lay a brown/cream egg, a pea combed bird more likely to lay blue or green.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on that.

6. gus2pp

Aug 20, 2014
    Interesting. All this is so fascinsting. Both of my girls have pea combs, so I'll keep an eye out for blue or green still. Thanks for the info!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by